New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help Please...!!! Powerbook can't open many websites

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anamanee

anamanee is on a distinguished road

I have powerbook pro with OSX 10.5.8, No matter which browser I use, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, latest versions, I can't open many websites. All of the websites which I CAN open when I switch to my PC and IE8. I've tried turning off iAntivirus, accepting 3rd party cookies etc. nothing seems to work!
For example espn podcasts cant load. Godaddy won't load, many many sites wont load!! What is going on??? help please....
QUOTE Thanks
EvanISOT

EvanISOT is on a distinguished road

Hey Ana,

When you say you can't open websites, what exactly do you mean? What happens when you try to load a webpage?
QUOTE Thanks
anamanee

anamanee is on a distinguished road

For example godaddy will load the title bar, then nothing else, lower left hand corner will say "waiting for img2.wsimg..." then nothing. Podcast will load halfway then get stuck also.

At the moment Paypal can't load either, title bar loads, then "connecting to paypal objects.." wait wait wait, 20 minutes later, still waiting.

I even called Pay Pal cust. service (asia office in singapore, the reply: "pay pal does not work with macs, use a pc ! " I'm serious that's exactly what they told me.

Any ideas? I'm almost ready to dump this thing for whatever I can get.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

How is the Power Book connecting to the internet? WiFi? Wired?

Right now I am not sure what is causing your issue but...

I have been using Pay Pal with Macs and OSX since 10.2 and and for 6 years and never once had an issue connecting there, so what they told you is not true at all!
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamanee View Post
For example godaddy will load the title bar, then nothing else, lower left hand corner will say "waiting for img2.wsimg..." then nothing. Podcast will load halfway then get stuck also.

At the moment Paypal can't load either, title bar loads, then "connecting to paypal objects.." wait wait wait, 20 minutes later, still waiting.

I even called Pay Pal cust. service (asia office in singapore, the reply: "pay pal does not work with macs, use a pc ! " I'm serious that's exactly what they told me.

Any ideas? I'm almost ready to dump this thing for whatever I can get.
I have a theory. If you're using wireless (Airport) maybe you are connected to the wrong wireless router. Perhaps the incorrect router has a weak signal and hence is is slow.
I'm pretty sure the computer is not at fault, something is messing with your internet connection.

Is there another internet connection you can test? Maybe use a cable and plug it directly into the router and turn off the Airport; see if it is still slow.
QUOTE Thanks
deltalb

deltalb is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem, i think its maybe from godaddy they doesn't support mac users, i use wireless airport.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I agree with techie justin, seems like a good bet that your powerbook is connecting to the wrong router. Check which one its connected to by clicking the wifi idicator on the top right

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New member...and good deal or not? | New Macbook Vs Refurb MBP »