Macbook Harddisk or Harddrive?
    Hi - recently my MacBook died, i looked on this forum - symptoms were it won't boot, folder with a flashing question mark etc.. Looks like i need a new Hard Drive.

So i went on ebay and quickly purchased a SEAGATE Momentus 5400.3 - 80GB SATA 2.5" HARDDISK. Ok - high 5's all around - but after looking at the picture, it looks completely different - you can see the disk etc..

Will i have to remove the harddrive casing when i recieve this, and then put the Harddisk inside? Have i possibly bought the wrong thing?

I'm asking here because i will not be home to see what i've bought for another 3 weeks - and then i only have 1 week before i go touring again, with this MacBook.

btw the model number is A1181.

Any help will be kindly recieved.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I don't know what picture you're looking at, so I can't be any help there.

The hard drive you *describe* as having bought should work fine in your MacBook, though why someone would buy an 80GB drive these days is quite beyond me ...

thanks - here's a pic.. it was 10 Euros for the harddrive - and i don't know yet if that was the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    The drive will not look like that when you get it. That is a manufacturers pic of the interior of the drive.

It will fit. You should head over to They'll have a graphic tutorial of how to change out the drive. Especially if you've never before been in a notebook case, I advise printing it out, lay the screws out on the pages as you remove them. It's not too hard.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information