New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Harddisk or Harddrive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlexKeysMusic

AlexKeysMusic is on a distinguished road

Hi - recently my MacBook died, i looked on this forum - symptoms were it won't boot, folder with a flashing question mark etc.. Looks like i need a new Hard Drive.

So i went on ebay and quickly purchased a SEAGATE Momentus 5400.3 - 80GB SATA 2.5" HARDDISK. Ok - high 5's all around - but after looking at the picture, it looks completely different - you can see the disk etc..

Will i have to remove the harddrive casing when i recieve this, and then put the Harddisk inside? Have i possibly bought the wrong thing?

I'm asking here because i will not be home to see what i've bought for another 3 weeks - and then i only have 1 week before i go touring again, with this MacBook.

btw the model number is A1181.

Any help will be kindly recieved.

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I don't know what picture you're looking at, so I can't be any help there.

The hard drive you *describe* as having bought should work fine in your MacBook, though why someone would buy an 80GB drive these days is quite beyond me ...
QUOTE Thanks
AlexKeysMusic

AlexKeysMusic is on a distinguished road

thanks - here's a pic.. it was 10 Euros for the harddrive - and i don't know yet if that was the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hardrive.jpg (8.6 KB, 2 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The drive will not look like that when you get it. That is a manufacturers pic of the interior of the drive.

It will fit. You should head over to iFixit.com. They'll have a graphic tutorial of how to change out the drive. Especially if you've never before been in a notebook case, I advise printing it out, lay the screws out on the pages as you remove them. It's not too hard.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« getting audio to TV | Touch Screen »