New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My MacBook Pro won't connect to my wireless printer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amanda.a.p

amanda.a.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

I have a brand-newish (July) MacBook Pro, and it absolutely refuses to connect to my Canon MP560 wireless printer. (there is NO USB cord.) However, my Vista laptop prints to it just fine.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software numerous times...
what seems to be the problem?

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Make sure you have installed the latest Canon drivers and software. Canon wireless printers (the all in one models) come with quite a bit of software for OS X. You need to install all of it. Try to follow the step by step for setting up wireless from the quick start manual that's included. Also, you need to attach it to your Mac by USB cable first before you can get the wireless working. If you don't have a spare USB cable, you'll need to buy one. I'm assuming your new MBP is working OK wireless?
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Make sure you have installed the latest Canon drivers and software. Canon wireless printers (the all in one models) come with quite a bit of software for OS X. You need to install all of it. Try to follow the step by step for setting up wireless from the quick start manual that's included. Also, you need to attach it to your Mac by USB cable first before you can get the wireless working. If you don't have a spare USB cable, you'll need to buy one. I'm assuming your new MBP is working OK wireless?
The MBP works perfectly wireless... i've installed ALL the drivers... and the printer did not come with a USB? I never had to plug the Vista laptop in via a cord. What's up with that?

Amanda
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD*16 GB iPhone 3GS*80 GB iPod Classic*8 GB iPod nano, 3rd generation*1 GB iPod nano, 1st generation
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The Canon instructions state that their wireless printers be attached first by USB before setting them up for wireless use in OS X. I didn't have to use my USB cable when I installed Windows 7. It just "saw" the Canon and installed it. What can I say? Windows just deals with wireless better than OS X. Try using the USB cable first.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

It didn't come with one though... know where I could pick one up?

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

USB cables are sold in most stores which sell computers and related accessories. Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Post back and let us know if you can get it working or not.
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

Got the USB, plugged it in, printed fine. Still can't print wirelessly.

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK. Now that you have it hooked via USB, follow the Canon instructions to get it working wireless. You will need to make sure you have the wireless networking software installed (Canon) and the drivers.

Easiest way may be to download everything from Canon, install all the software and drivers, and then follow their directions to get it working wireless. Basically, their instructions will tell you that the printer will "search" for your wireless network, obtain an IP address and then test the connection. Of course if your wireless is using encryption, you will have to supply the password.

Download all software and drivers for the Pixma MP560 from this LINK.

The whole procedure to get it going wireless in OS X is more complicated than Windows, so don't give up.
QUOTE Thanks
Wldman

Wldman is on a distinguished road

We just got our first Mac... a Macbook Pro. It found our wireless printer (Canon MX 860 All-in One) and hooked up fine completely without connecting with a cable... except not all the functions work, like duplex printing. I contacted Canon and never received an answer...
QUOTE Thanks
amanda.a.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldman View Post
We just got our first Mac... a Macbook Pro. It found our wireless printer (Canon MX 860 All-in One) and hooked up fine completely without connecting with a cable... except not all the functions work, like duplex printing. I contacted Canon and never received an answer...
How'd you manage that?

Amanda
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MiniDisplay to VGA Question! | MBP+ Monitor help ! »