New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook White update Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shail422

shail422 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have an idea, please comment if its a good idea or not.

I have a Macbook white 13' with the following configuration purchased on 27th May, 2008:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier:MacBook4,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed:800 MHz
Boot ROM Version:MB41.00C1.B00

Apple has recently launched the Snow Leopard OS and what I plan to do is upgrade my existing Leopard 10.5.8, add in an extra 1GB RAM and buy a new battery. The reason for doing this:

1) The new white macbook does not have a firewire port, Infrared port(I have an apple remote and use it quite often)
2) The macbook pro 13' is quite expensive.
3) The new macbooks have a mini display port, whereas I already have a display port attached to my HDTV. I would again have to purchase a new set of mini display port.

Even if I consider buying the new Macbook white, it comes at a cost of $999, whereas if I stick to my plan it comes to about $300 without losing out on all the essential ports like IR, firewire.

Now my question is
1) Will the hardware support the new Snow Leopard software ?
2) Will the 1GB RAM suffice or is the RAM upgrade necessary?

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I have the same model but faster processor. It runs Snow Leopard just fine. You need to keep in mind that there are only two slots for RAM. You can't just buy a 1GB stick and expect to get 2GB of RAM.

You need matching pairs. 1GB X 2 will for example. I have 2GB X2 which gives me 4GB of RAM.

You never said what you are doing with your MB, so it's a little difficult to tell you if the RAM needs an upgrade. Although I would opt to go with 2GB of RAM minimum.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
shail422

I will be using it mainly for my post graduation. So that means preparing a few presentations, working with excel, word and using the internet, etc. and listening to music and watching movies. No heavy graphics or hardcore gaming!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shail422 View Post
I will be using it mainly for my post graduation. So that means preparing a few presentations, working with excel, word and using the internet, etc. and listening to music and watching movies. No heavy graphics or hardcore gaming!
2GB should be plenty.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

2GB of RAM are probably sufficient for what you are using your machine for.

4GB - $95
2GB - $48
Battery - $99
Snow Leopard - $29

Total to upgrade with 2GB - $176

If you don't have an external drive with a backup of what could be valuable data with a lot of time invested in your documents, that's where you need to spend the next $100.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
shail422

I have a Western Digital External 500GB Hard disk with Time Machine and an up to date backup every once a week.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why won't my MacBook access YouTube/YouTube videos, ever? | Vertical green line on middle of the screen »