New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Beeping on startup & restart warning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

InsaneBen

InsaneBen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

Hey all!
New here! found your all after doing some googling trying to get some help for my macbook
Hope someone can help me!

Currently have a Macbook Pro 17" OS X version 10.5.8

2.16 GHz intel Core Duo

memory 2x 1gb which i bought 4 years ago this oct..

the main 2 problems i have been getting is, the mac crashes with a error message saying have to hold down power button and restart,

also when i try and power up again. mac beeps at me and does nothing

after doing some google research, see it may be a ram issue
first i tried removing and replacing my 2 x 1gb memory blocks
which resulted in the same issue, still wouldn't start

then i removed just one of the 1gb memory blocks,
which allows me to start again and seems to run better than before. although after a short time it will crash again "mainly after opening apps working in programs etc,, this will then give me the error message of needing to restart again. but will restart no probs,,
or will freeze with the spinning color wheel thing? and i have to restart by holding power button down

is this likely to be a ram issue still?
my 2x 1gb ram blocks were bought 2nd hand a few yrs back

should i replace both with new ones? also can i upgrade these while i'm forced into this situation, if so, is there a limit to what size i can upgrade to?

any help and advice would be most greatly appreciated
thanx for your time
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Sounds like you've done a nice bit of troubleshooting! Everything you did with the ram is what I would have suggested.

The only thing I can say is...if the ram wasn't guaranteed to work in a Macintosh...maybe replacing it with ram guaranteed to work in a Mac may solve the problem. You could try these guys:

OWC

I understand that you've had this ram for like 2 years...but...incompatible ram is incompatible ram. Maybe it never works, works for 5 minutes, or maybe works for 2 years!

As far as max ram for your computer. 2 gig is the max.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
InsaneBen

Hi Nick,
thanx so much for getting back to us, No idea if the ram i added was guaranteed to work or not.. I did get it from a major mac user / programmer, Not that means anything really

cheers for sharing the shop link, although i'm UK based and need to get my mac sorted asap so need a quick delivery

another quick question, how will i know if new ram is guaranteed to work when looking to buy new ram..

thanx again for your help
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBen View Post
cheers for sharing the shop link, although i'm UK based and need to get my mac sorted asap so need a quick delivery

another quick question, how will i know if new ram is guaranteed to work when looking to buy new ram..
Believe it or not...even though "OWC" is located in the United States...folks all over the world use them! This includes the UK, Europe, Australia, etc.

If you buy from these guys (OWC)...guaranteed to work in your Mac. You could also try these guys:

Crucial.com

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
InsaneBen

Cool nice one again Nick,,
will def check it out and the other link, hopefully this will solve it all.
Feel lost without my mac,
thanx again for your help and advice
all the best
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

You're Welcome!

QUOTE Thanks
InsaneBen

Nice! Thanx for the Crucial.com link
Just downloaded and used the Crucial System Scanner tool to see just what i needed!
Ordered and paid for two new 1gb's rams
paid with paypal which was just what i needed,, no cards!
next day delivery,, so maybe a saturday delivery, failing that Monday!
And then i should be good to go again!

So glad i found this forum, and thanx for the great info Nick.. will def be keeping this site on my top favs

A happy mac user once again!
QUOTE Thanks
InsaneBen

Wohoooo!!! New memory arrived this morning! Nice and quick! Back up and fully running on my macbook pro again! yes!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBen View Post
Wohoooo!!! New memory arrived this morning! Nice and quick! Back up and fully running on my macbook pro again! yes!!
AWESOME!!! Like I mentioned earlier...maybe that ram that was originally in the computer wasn't "fully Mac compatible" for some reason...and even though it ran fine for two years...eventually it "crapped out"!

Great to hear the new ram worked!

Thanks for the update.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fallen MacBook Pro, what can be the problem | Getting a lot of FAIL screens, system restarts and program crashes after RAM upgrade »