New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Switching from 15" to 13" advice needed


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
CaptQuixote

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2010
Posts: 2
CaptQuixote is on a distinguished road

CaptQuixote is offline
Hi,

I've been using a 15" Macbook Pro for a year or so and I'm thinking of selling it for a 13" (I need the portability and battery life). I use it mostly for word processing and the net, but I also like to run Final Cut Studio (with Magic Bullet plugins), Photoshop and Lightroom - I don't use them professionally, but I do use them for small HD film projects and RAW photo editing now and then. I hook the laptop up to a monitor at home so the reduced screen size isn't a problem - but I'm worried about the reduced specs.

At the moment my machine is 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM with a 9600M GT 512MB GPU and a 7200 speed drive - obviously, the new base 13" has a slower processor, hard drive and an integrated (albeit pretty good from what I've heard) graphics card. What I really want to know is how much of a difference I'm going to see in performance - and in what form that difference will take...if, for example, it means I'm just going to have longer rendering times on FCP and slower editing in Lightroom I don't care so much - but if some of those programs won't work at all (or slow to an unusable crawl) then I guess the 13" isn't an option.

Any advice would be great...Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

 
brairden's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 252
brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

brairden is offline
You will notice a slight difference in rendering times and things if that nature. If you are worried the software being unusable, stop worrying. I have owned the 2.26 and the 2.4 13" MBPs and they both ran all of these programs with no hiccups at all. I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference in the graphics card (unless you do some gaming).

In my humble opinion you will be hard pressed to notice any difference at all. When I upgraded from the 2.26 to the 2.4, to be honest, I noticed NO improvement on FCP rendering times.

If you are really that curious about it, edit and render a small project and save the source material. When you get the 13", repeat the exact process and time it. You'll know then how much of a performance drop you have experienced. Then you can decide if the portability was worth the sacrifice.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
CaptQuixote

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2010
Posts: 2
CaptQuixote is on a distinguished road

CaptQuixote is offline
That's really helpful - it's good to know I'm not really looking at too much of a step down if I go for the 13". Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« question about upgrading hard drive and cloning. | to install OS in new hard disk »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Advice on G4 OS 10.3 upgrade needed hazzabamboo Apple Notebooks 2 06-10-2009 06:42 PM
Advice needed! U-WUS Apple Notebooks 8 05-26-2009 08:19 AM
RAM Upgrade to G.Skill 4GB - Advice needed growlgrowl Apple Notebooks 4 05-16-2009 06:44 PM
Advice Needed Apple TV nathannew2008 Other Hardware and Peripherals 0 08-07-2008 07:31 AM
Advice needed for MAC compatible monitors mimo Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 03-01-2004 05:56 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?