New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What should I sell my iBook g4 for?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tim.biscuits

tim.biscuits is on a distinguished road

I have an iBook g4, the mid-2005 model and am wondering who and what to sell it to/for? It is in working with install disks, power cables etc. The only problem with it is that the airport card in it does not work but i have a wireless usb wifi connector that i would be more then happy to sell it with for no extra price (bought it for $50). This airport problem is common with this generation of iBook as i have read but have never decided to get a new one, the wifi usb stick works brilliantly! I am a resonably young student and got a new laptop from the government this year so I have basically no need for the iBook now. I love my mac but sadly i can't have everything.

So, if anyone knows someone i can sell it to, or how much to sell it for, i would be very happy, maybe even if anyone knows a shop around me that buys second-hand laptops?

I live in Perth, Western Australia

By the way it has a 40gb HD and 1.3? ghz processor and 1gb ram.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Tim Arnott
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

They still sell for around 150 on Ebay here, so given the package you have, I 'd say the Aussie equivalent of that should be manageable.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

150?! That's insane.

You couldn't give one away round these parts. Maybe $100US, max.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
150?! That's insane.

You couldn't give one away round these parts. Maybe $100US, max.
I agree, but 'tis true. My cousin had one that he needed to have the logic board solder fix repair done, sold it after for 160.
I think they are popular with teenagers/students here.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And if you don't need the cash from it, you could take a look around for someone with a kid that has no computer and whose parents can't afford one. I've always found this to be an extremely satisfactory way to handle my old computers. It's especially enjoyable if you take an hour or two to sit down with them and teach them enough to get started.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Nice idea Bob.
After what Chas said, I double checked, and sure enough, there is a G4, with a slightly higher spec, currently bid up to 150 with 9 hours to go.

QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

I own a mid 2005 12" G4 iBook: great little machine. Has been reliable and problem free over the last five years. Is still used every day, predominantly for surfing/emailng now but it has CS2 Creative Suite and QuarkXpress 7 installed on it and although a little slow with larger/more complex files, it handles the majority of what is asked of it perfectly. One of my better Apple purchases over the years and personally I think worth 150...
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

I have sold iBook G4 models as recently as 6 months ago. here in the US on craigslist for around 250$$ and up, with the same spec's as yours but the AirPort cards were working and the Hard Drives were a bit bigger.

Just a quick check here and there are a few of them that have been posted in that price range.. and some folks (ID 10 T's!) asking upwards of 400$ (they should not get that) but the price others here have stated here seems right...

Or as bobtomay suggests ... find a student in need

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro will not power on | Computer to TV issue »