New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

question about upgrading hard drive and cloning.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SpeshulED619

SpeshulED619 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone as you see im new to the forums.

Ive recently purchased a new MBP and would like to upgrade to a bigger hard drive but would love to transfer everything the way its setup now to the new hard drive.

I would also like to do this to my girlfriends older MBP.

Ive heard about cloning but i was wondering if anyone of you can give me any advice and or direct me to great write ups on how to do this.

thanks in advance.

-ed
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Welcome to the forums. There are several options. For cloning you can use either Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or Mac's built in Disk Utility. Most people use the first two options probably because they didn't know Disk Utility could also do it. A longer non-cloning option is to use Time Machine to backup your data and then transfer it to the new hard drive.

As for how to swap the hard drive itself, you can go to ifixit.com. They have great repair manuals: MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

EndlessMac already stated this ... but I love SuperDuper it has helped me in cloning drives from G3 iBooks through PowerMac's, Mac Mini's, iMac's, and my MB Pro ... and has never let me down... it is great ...

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
SpeshulED619

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Welcome to the forums. There are several options. For cloning you can use either Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or Mac's built in Disk Utility. Most people use the first two options probably because they didn't know Disk Utility could also do it. A longer non-cloning option is to use Time Machine to backup your data and then transfer it to the new hard drive.

As for how to swap the hard drive itself, you can go to ifixit.com. They have great repair manuals: MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit

I was also wondering once I finish running SuperDuper on the new hard drive I can just pop the new hard drive in and boot up? also am I suppose to buy an external hard drive case to stick the new HD in so I can plug it up to the laptop and transfer away?

thanks you have been a lot of help so far.

-ed
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Yes first you need either an enclosure to put your drive in or you can get just get the cabling for the connection. If you are going to keep the old HD for usage then go with an enclosure so you can put it in once you are done.

If you cloned the drive correctly then yes you can just pop in the new drive and it should work since it should be an exact clone of your current drive. The ifixit tutorial should have explained everything so make sure to read it all first before starting.
QUOTE Thanks
SpeshulED619

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Yes first you need either an enclosure to put your drive in or you can get just get the cabling for the connection. If you are going to keep the old HD for usage then go with an enclosure so you can put it in once you are done.

If you cloned the drive correctly then yes you can just pop in the new drive and it should work since it should be an exact clone of your current drive. The ifixit tutorial should have explained everything so make sure to read it all first before starting.

EndlessMac, Thank You for the helpful information. I am now in search for two hard drives.

-ed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse Slowing Connection Speed | Switching from 15" to 13" advice needed »