New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 13" Battery question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

selloutt

selloutt is an unknown at this point

Hi

I have a 2.26 13" mbp running 10.6.4

I am in the tropics and my battery seems to be holding about half the charge it used to. The battery has 176 cycles on it.

My question thou, is that the full charge capacity (in about this mac) is 5309 yet my charge remaining is 1767. Does this mean my battery is only holding 30% of its charge ? What do those numbers mean exactly ??

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

You answered your own question. It means a new, fresh battery holds 5309 while yours is holding only 1767. Meaning you're in need of a new battery.

I'm facing the exact same problem with my MacBook Pro, and I'll be replacing the battery as soon as I get the money.
QUOTE Thanks
selloutt

selloutt is an unknown at this point

Can charge remaining go up, or does it only go down ? And is charge remaining 1767 normal for a battery with only 176 cycles on it ?
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

No, the cycles do not go up. As for whether it is normal, I'm not sure, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes the charge "cycles" do go up. If the OP's battery is currently on charge cycle 176...then eventually it will go to charge cycle 177, 178, 179, etc.

"selloutt": As far as "charge remaining going up". If your battery is supposed to hold 5309mAh when it is brand new & 100% charge...and it currently gets 1767mAh...you didn't tell us if 1767mAh is what you're getting on a full charge currently.

If 1767mAh is what you're getting currently with a 100% charge...then no..."charge remaining will not (or should not) go up. When a battery gets older...the maximum charge (mAh) starts to go down. So 1767/5309 = 33.3% "battery life" remaining.

Now if I'm not mistaken...your Macbook Pro has the non-user replaceable battery...is this correct? If so...these batteries are supposed to last a lot longer than the older "user-replaceable" batteries.

The older style user-replaceable batteries are supposed to get around 300 charge cycles...the newer non-user replaceable batteries are supposed to get close to 1000 charge cycles:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

If you're only on charge cycle 176 on a non-user replaceable battery which should get close to 1000 charge cycles...and your maximum charge currently is only 1767 out of 5309...then I would say there's a problem with your battery...and you should contact Apple about it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mbp-360-tv | Macbook Pro DVD/CD burner »