New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

how to locate my hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yabz

Yabz is on a distinguished road

how do i locate my hard drive on my mac? i dont mean the physical hard drive i mean the folder? like on a its the "c" drive and its in My Computer. And how do i uninstall things?
QUOTE Thanks
Fodge

Fodge has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM

Finder > preferences....
Check the box to show it in the desktop. Otherwise it should show up in the left side of finder windows.

Most apps can be uninstalled just by throwing them in the trash. If not the installer will come with an uninstaller.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

To expand on what's already been said, Mac's don't have a C: drive like Windows. The default name for Mac hard drives are usually "Macintosh HD". All your software is usually placed in your Applications folder and as mentioned most applications can be uninstalled by deleting them. Most Mac applications are self contained programs so they are simply copied over rather being installed like Windows programs are. If you had to actually install a program then look to see if there was an uninstaller that came with it.

The only data that are leftover are usually preference folders and other data files created by the applications. You can either manually delete them yourself, use an application that will do it for you, or just leave the files since they usually don't take up a lot of space. These files are usually created in your Library folder if you want to find them.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
...These files are usually created in your Library folder if you want to find them.
I would not go around deleting files in the Library. Especially if you don't know what they are and what they do. This can lead to a lot of problems. Just expanding on what EndlessMac said. ^-^"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Yes that's true. I should have added a disclaimer. It just depends on how knowledgable a person is with Macs. It's not something a new Mac user should do. Even some of the cleanup "uninstaller" applications can cause problems if you are not paying attention to what they are doing.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I would not go around deleting files in the Library. Especially if you don't know what they are and what they do. This can lead to a lot of problems. Just expanding on what EndlessMac said. ^-^"
I agree completely unless the user knows exactly what they are doing and what files they are deleting. Otherwise best to leave it be. The configuration files take so little space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 15" battery life | turning a laptop into a desktop, need help? »