are Macbook Pro Logic Boards interchangeable
    I would like to know if someone had the late 2007 model A1229 MacBook Pro with the Rev. D motherboard and the logic board went dead, could a more resent model A1261 with the Rev. E motherboad be used instead, even though the Function keys are different?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I would say no. Logic boards from various models of MacBook and MBP models are almost never interchangeable because of differences and advancements made in the hardware. You need an exact replacement to make sure it will work.

If the logic board was replaced with the same in a MBP mid 2007-2008 model mac, do you preahaps know why or what would be the cause of not being able to log back into the Mac Leopard OS X once the board was replaced?

or should I post this as a New Thread?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlenno View Post
    I would like to know if someone had the late 2007 model A1229 MacBook Pro with the Rev. D motherboard and the logic board went dead, could a more resent model A1261 with the Rev. E motherboad be used instead, even though the Function keys are different?
    I'm going to say I'm not 100% sure if the logic boards are swappable or not. If you look at the two photos in the links below:

MacBook Pro 17" (Model A1229) 2.4 GHz Logic Board (661-4364) - iFixit
    MacBook Pro 17" (Model A1261) 2.6 GHz Logic Board (661-4690) - iFixit

...the photos of the logic boards look very very similar...and I also checked, and both logic boards appear to have exactly the same ports. But you still never know if holes for mounting screws are different, or if there are any obstructions or protrusions that may make the swap not work.

I'm not sure how you intend on sourcing a replacement logic board...but as you can see from the links...if you were thinking of purchasing a replacement logic board...they're going to cost a pretty hefty $899-$999.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Adding to that, some logic boards may be (are) switchable, upgradable, etc., but unless you are an electronics guru, and have the know-how, and the equipment necessary at hand to make it possible, it's not going to happen.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Personally...I would give this logic board swap a try...but only if I was able to get a replacement logic board very very cheaply. Like $50 or less. Too much risk to take if it cost more than that...unless I knew that the swap was 100% doable. But it's unlikely someone would find a working logic board for this computer for $50 (unless you're lucky)...since a working logic board would fetch way more than $50 on e-Bay.

No way would I spend $899+ for a replacement logic board! That's just way too much to spend...since the computer itself may only be worth $800-$900.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    agreed..... I know of people who have successfully upgraded iMac logic boards (even though not MBs or MBPs, still mounting constrictions a plenty), so I know it's possible contrary to popular beliefs, but even if I had the know how, unless it were as cheap as that, and on a Mac that had a fried logic board anyway, I wouldn't even go there.

MBP logic board replacement
    I have a 2008 MBP with a dead logic board. It is a 2.6 GHz processor. Could I replace it with a 2.5GHz processor logic board from a broken screen MBP that I can buy off craigslist? ...If it was the same model number (if possible)?

Thread Information