Ram Upgrade for Macbook5.1 ???
    Hi

I'm a PC musician looking to upgrade my rig but can't afford my iMac just yet. Will be purchasing Logic Studio and East-West Quantum Leap Pianos to install in my Macbook, hence i will be needing to upgrade RAM 2-Gigs and an external USB hard-drive 1TB. Question is is it possible to upgrade the Macbook 5.1 with additional memory?

Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Note: Moved to appropriate forum. A RAM upgrade doesn't have anything to do with Music, Audio and Podcasting.

A little light reading about upgrading the RAM, incl'g a video, links to Apple on how to do it and links to sites where you can obtain the appropriate RAM - link.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Apologies for the incorrect forum, thanks bob the link was helpful. I assume i would need to go to a Mac store to purchase and upgrade the 2x1-Gig modules in place of 2x2-Gig modules to reach 4-Gigs ? When upgrading do the module specs need to be the same, DDR-3 SDRAM ?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Apologies for the incorrect forum, thanks bob the link was helpful. I assume i would need to go to a Mac store to purchase and upgrade the 2x1-Gig modules in place of 2x2-Gig modules to reach 4-Gigs ? When upgrading do the module specs need to be the same, DDR-3 SDRAM ?
    No you do not. You find the RAM that you need from a third party retailer, IE. NewEgg, Amazon, etc.

In this case I would try out OWC aka MacSales. It doesn't have to be an online retailer it could be local, however you usually find better deals online.

Just look up RAM and pick your model and it will tell you what you need. From there you can buy from them or find something similar else where.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Went to my local Mac store and priced up some modules.. was offered 4-Gigs of Kingston DDR3-SDRAM for 90, is that a fair price?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Went to my local Mac store and priced up some modules.. was offered 4-Gigs of Kingston DDR3-SDRAM for 90, is that a fair price?
    Don't want to sound mean but, research the price online.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Did what you said and found Kingston 2-Gigs of DDR3 online at $48.55. x2 for 4Gigs = $97.5. Did the conversion in to euro = 75. I've been ripped 15. well thats business..

Thread Information