New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Strange situation with MBP 13" mid-2009.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OLodhi

OLodhi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 5,5

Okay this is going to sound weird...
A spider landed on my MBP near the vents, and I tried to blow on it to get it out of the way and accidentally blew it into one of the vents. Now it got stuck in there and all of a sudden I can hear a strange noise coming from my fan! It was quite loud before but now it has quieted down a little, my guess is that the fan has picked apart the spider but there are still bits aggravating the fan.

What would bet he best way to clean it out of the vent? I was thinking of spraying some compressed air into the vent. A disassembly would be a last resort for me, but because of the design of the MBP it's difficult to get there!

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Omar.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The only way to clean the fan itself is to disassemble your machine. You can try spraying compressed air thru the vents but that won't clear the fan. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for changing out a fan on your model MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
OLodhi

OLodhi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 5,5

Okay so i've successfully took apart my MBP and removed the spider guts from my fan. However my fan seems to idle at a much higher RPM. Usually it's around the 1996 mark now its at about 2400. Any ideas why this could be happening?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Make sure the thermal sensor on the Logic board is still attached. (No wires have come loose.) The other reason may be that the fan was damaged when the spider got tangled up in it. Replacing the fan is fairly easy - as you can see since you have it apart. But then again, an upward increase of RPM from the normal 1900 or so to 2400 is not anything to get worried about unless the speed keeps increasing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth mouse on Boot Camp | White MacBook best overall Mac. »