New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

White MacBook best overall Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Man, I love this very inexpensive Mac. Performance for the everyday Internet and school use can't be beat. I had a MacBook Pro 15 inch and it didn't do anything any better then my new MacBook. This computer is the most capable and underrated Mac on the market. MacBook users unite!!

May God Bless!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The most underrated Mac would probably be the mini actually. People underestimate the power of a MB. The MBP is nice and it does have some features that the newer MBs are lacking such as firewire.

However not everyone needs firewire, and the bells and whistles that come with the pro version. People just need to pay attention to what they need and buy accordingly.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
However not everyone needs firewire, and the bells and whistles that come with the pro version.
Yeah. Good. Keep telling yourself that

Better lose a bar on the iPhone 4 than losing an iPhone 4 in the bar.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
What the?
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
What the?
Referring to the easy-to-keep-clean alu-chassis and the backlit keyboard as "bells and whistles" is an obvious sign of cognitive dissonance.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Referring to the easy-to-keep-clean alu-chassis and the backlit keyboard as "bells and whistles" is an obvious sign of cognitive dissonance.

And ... Ummmmm why is it obvious ??? I have no problems here with the 2 clashing, and i find Aluminium easier to clean than White ........ I like my "bells and whistles"

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Huh...interesting. This is the first time I have seen the term "bells and whistles" turned into a negative.

I still stand by what I said about not everyone needs firewire. I have the late 2008 model of the MB as well as a few other Macs that I didn't feel as though I could cram them on my user profile. All of which have firewire.

I have yet to ever use Firewire on my MB in the last two years.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
And ... Ummmmm why is it obvious ??? I have no problems here with the 2 clashing, and i find Aluminium easier to clean than White ........ I like my "bells and whistles"
It's obvious because my definition of "bells and whistles" is equivalent to "useless features for marketing purposes". Have I missed anything?

QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Huh...interesting. This is the first time I have seen the term "bells and whistles" turned into a negative.

I still stand by what I said about not everyone needs firewire. I have the late 2008 model of the MB as well as a few other Macs that I didn't feel as though I could cram them on my user profile. All of which have firewire.

I have yet to ever use Firewire on my MB in the last two years.
I have never seen "bells and whistles" as something positive, but I concur with your post as far as FireWire goes. Never used it.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
It's obvious because my definition of "bells and whistles" is equivalent to "useless features for marketing purposes". Have I missed anything?

Well then there you go. Yep the Sleek Sexy Alum Unibody has its benefits and dont see it as a marketing ploy, and same goes for the backlit keyboard. This is one of many reasons i upgraded from my White MB to this beautiful 13"MBP. The backlight was a selling point for me, and use it every day... Umm night i mean ... So yea these "Bells n Whistles" are the "bell n whistles" i was looking for.....

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
At what point then can we differentiate between "bells and whistles" and useful productive features? It's very possible that something like a backlit keyboard makes someone more productive much like more RAM might for someone else.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
At what point then can we differentiate between "bells and whistles" and useful productive features? It's very possible that something like a backlit keyboard makes someone more productive much like more RAM might for someone else.
I totally agree with your statement here. And I know very well that if I had the choice between backlit keyboard and 50-100% extra RAM, I would choose the former over the latter any given day.

Your question is interesting. There is actually a way one can differentiate; quantified by the likelihood that the removal of one specific feature becomes a dealbreaker for that specific device.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
There is actually a way one can differentiate; quantified by the likelihood that the removal of one specific feature becomes a dealbreaker for that specific device.
That is a very good way of delineating the difference between "useful" features and what we are calling "bells and whistles". That said, the difference is very subjective (hence why they are in quotation marks). What is useful for you may be irrelevant to others. For instance, I am more concerned with the internals of my machine while others couldn't care less and would be happier with things like backlit keyboards. Because of this, it is largely unfair to claim that something is only there for marketing purposes because for someone else it may serve a need they have. The argument therefore that a feature is simply a marketing ploy is untenable. Someone will no doubt find a feature useful - if they didn't, manufacturers wouldn't build them into their products.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you can not state that others are suffering from a case of cognitive dissonance because you feel a certain way towards particular features. Some people do not define those features as marketing ploys and therefore, there is no dissonance.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That is a very good way of delineating the difference between "useful" features and what we are calling "bells and whistles". That said, the difference is very subjective (hence why they are in quotation marks). What is useful for you may be irrelevant to others. For instance, I am more concerned with the internals of my machine while others couldn't care less and would be happier with things like backlit keyboards. Because of this, it is largely unfair to claim that something is only there for marketing purposes because for someone else it may serve a need they have. The argument therefore that a feature is simply a marketing ploy is untenable. Someone will no doubt find a feature useful - if they didn't, manufacturers wouldn't build them into their products.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you can not state that others are suffering from a case of cognitive dissonance because you feel a certain way towards particular features. Some people do not define those features as marketing ploys and therefore, there is no dissonance.

What he said ^^^^^

QUOTE Thanks
theoak

theoak is on a distinguished road

Features on computers are really simple to classify:

They are like the items in a yard sale, disposable to some, but worth money to others.

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange situation with MBP 13" mid-2009. | MacBook Pro sale at Micro Center »