New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External Monitor Res' Confusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dan7aylor

Dan7aylor is on a distinguished road

I have a 23" monitor that can run 1920 by 1080 natively, yet when I run my MBP in clamshell mode while connected to the monitor it cuts half of the dock off at the bottom.

It seems strange that it would offer a resolution that does not fit correctly even though it is the monitor's native resolution. If anyone has a fix/solution to this problem I would be very appreciative.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What resolution is being shown in System Preferences, Displays when the external is attached? Is it operating in "Mirror" mode or "Extended Desktop"
mode?

Also it would help if you provided more than just a generic question. How about telling us which Mac you have (model, year) and the make model of the monitor? What version of OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

well its showing 1920 by 1080 with a series of 1600's above. So it is the correct resolution, maybe just the wrong aspect ratio, despite the sides being in perfect ratio.

15" Macbook Pro june 2010, latest Mac OS X, Samsung 2333HD Monitor (TV tuner included)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan7aylor View Post
I have a 23" monitor that can run 1920 by 1080 natively, yet when I run my MBP in clamshell mode while connected to the monitor it cuts half of the dock off at the bottom.
This could be a long shot...but are you absolutely sure that your 23" monitors display is "centered"? Sometimes the screen geometry gets "out of wack"...and you need to adjust the vertical & horizontal geometry to get the displayed image centered.

You would do this via your monitors display setting's vs. within the Apple OS preferences.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

haha yeah it runs perfectly on my xbox 360, but thanks for the help all the same
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan7aylor View Post
haha yeah it runs perfectly on my xbox 360, but thanks for the help all the same
The thing is we're not talking about your monitor working fine when it's connected to your xbox 360...we're talking about when the monitor is plugged into your Macbook Pro. Things can change when you move from device to device.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

hmm okay, well either way when the MBP is plugged in everything fits perfectly except the bottom part of the screen. Its like its being stretched vertically slightly, so Im thinking its an issue with the aspect ratio.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is not nearly enough info to provide any really good assistance.

Is only the bottom of the screen being cut off, or is part of the menu bar also off the screen?
Is this a monitor or a TV you're using?
What is the make and model?
What are you using to attach the Mac to the monitor, e.g. what cable and port?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

ive given some of that information above "15" Macbook Pro june 2010, latest Mac OS X, Samsung 2333HD Monitor (TV tuner included)" but i am using a Mini Display to VGA connect the MBP to the Monitor.
I can't tell if its being stretched or not because the section of the screen not visible is relatively small. However, half the dock is off the screen while the rest of the display seems to be in the correct position.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, I missed that in the 2nd post. I'll do some digging, but my initial guess since you're using VGA, is that pigoo has it right. It should be a matter of adjusting the horizontal size on the monitor.

Yet another Samsung.... I'm going to continue repeating this until everyone gets it.

QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

yeah okay ill try that later thanks to the both of you.

Sorry if it has been discussed before, Im really bad at trawling forums
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

No, haven't seen your particular issue related to VGA connections for awhile.

But, about 99.5% of all the problems we see (at least in this forum) related to connecting to external monitors and TVs involve Samsung.

QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

oh right haha, very strange :/
QUOTE Thanks
Dan7aylor

i have tried configuring the screen, but i cannot access the advanced settings because they are greyed out for some reason. I cannot for the life of my figure out how to "unlock" these settings which seems ludicrous to me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What controls are you locked out of? What settings are you referring to? I was just on the Samsung site looking at your monitor/TV. It looks like any other Samsung with regard to making adjustments thru a front panel menu.

I have two Samsung monitors and one TV here at home and both monitors work the same way to adjust raster width, height, and various other on screen settings.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro keeps freezing.. | What software will run on my iBook? »