New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13" MBP rebuildable? pics inside

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frey7190

frey7190 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I have/had a 13" Macbook Pro that I recently bought to upgrade my 15" Macbook Pro (2007 version).

The other day at work we were vandalized and that night I happened to have made a big mistake on leaving my mac in the office! The guy who broke in beat this thing to pieces. I mean he threw it across the room, hit it against a door frame, I mean the works.

Amazingly I was able to take the HDD out and put it in a Western Digital Passport enclosure and get all my files out of it!

When I opened it up, everything looks good internally. The board is still all in one piece (it didn't bend like the case did). The only things that are messed up on this computer is the screen, the keyboard, the mouse, and the shell.

If I could find a donor computer, this thing would be up and running! Are there any websites that manufacture or sell Apple replacement parts?

I dont know though how I should proceed... It is covered by Apple Care, and I have only had it for a couple of months. I am tempted to rebuild it and then maybe either sell it or give it to my fiance.

Here are some pictures to show you just how beat up this thing got.
What do you guys think??

.. On a positive note, I still have my MBP (2007), and my 2009 MacMini got a 4gb memory boost, parts from the destroyed MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey7190 View Post
Hey guys,

I have/had a 13" Macbook Pro that I recently bought to upgrade my 15" Macbook Pro (2007 version).

The other day at work we were vandalized and that night I happened to have made a big mistake on leaving my mac in the office! The guy who broke in beat this thing to pieces. I mean he threw it across the room, hit it against a door frame, I mean the works.
Doesn't your place of employment have some sort of insurance that would cover replacement of your computer due to the break-in/vandalism?

Rebuilding it is probably not an option...the total cost for replacement parts would be sky-high!

But if you want to...you can check these guys out for the cost of parts:

iFixit

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

The cost that would go into that is simply not worth it. The screen alone will be close to a $600 bill with the lid. I would say that is a total loss and hopefully you can get some insurance money from the company policy.

What a freaking moron to do something like that. I sure hope he / she is caught.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

I would be keeping my eyes on eBay for a 13" with a bad logic board. They are on there all the time. Liquid spills and such that AppleCare won't cover. I think they usually go for between $300-$500. If your employer covers you AND you get to keep the old one, it would be well worth it.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brairden View Post
I would be keeping my eyes on eBay for a 13" with a bad logic board. They are on there all the time. Liquid spills and such that AppleCare won't cover. I think they usually go for between $300-$500. If your employer covers you AND you get to keep the old one, it would be well worth it.
That is a really great suggestion. If you could find one with spill damage, it would be a very easy repair.

I guess my only question is... this kind of vandalism seems like a VERY personal matter. Any random joker would have snapped that thing up and sold it. Just out of curiosity, do the the police have any leads? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to nail down.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That is a really great suggestion. If you could find one with spill damage, it would be a very easy repair.

I guess my only question is... this kind of vandalism seems like a VERY personal matter. Any random joker would have snapped that thing up and sold it. Just out of curiosity, do the the police have any leads? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to nail down.
They must have been under the influence of some substance and or very angry to do that to a MBP.

Hopefully they nail that person for doing that to your property.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Just because you don't see any damage to the logic board doesn't mean that there isn't some hidden problem. You could spend the $300 or so on eBay looking for something with water damage and find out that your board has an issue. There could be broken solder joints, etc. that you are not seeing.

Again, without knowing your board works 100% you could be wasting cash for nothing. Get some insurance payment, throw that in the trash and move on.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Just because you don't see any damage to the logic board doesn't mean that there isn't some hidden problem. You could spend the $300 or so on eBay looking for something with water damage and find out that your board has an issue. There could be broken solder joints, etc. that you are not seeing.

Again, without knowing your board works 100% you could be wasting cash for nothing. Get some insurance payment, throw that in the trash and move on.
If that turned out to be the case, you could just put it back on eBay in the same condition you bought it and still get around what you paid for it. There really is a pretty good market on there for non-functioning Macs.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
frey7190

frey7190 is on a distinguished road

My companies insurance covered my MBP, I was going to just fix it and give it to someone in the family. I already bought a 13" 2010 mbp to replace this one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to connect to LCD TV | Mini Display to HDMI »