New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

can't read my iomega 1tb drive...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raj1

raj1 is on a distinguished road

hi,
I purchased 1 tb Iomega hard drive,the problem is when i formatted with mac it doesn't copies more than 4 gb files from my windows pc. I have tried diskpart ,but also it doesn't copy.but when i format with pc it copy it, & when i connect it to my mac it says "the disk you inserted was not redable by this computer",can you please help me...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What file system did you use when you formatted it with your Mac? It sounds like you may have formatted the 1 TB as FAT-32? (MS DOS) FAT-32 has a restriction on a single file size - can be no larger than around 4 GB.

Then it appears you formatted the drive with your PC? A PC will not format a drive that large unless it's formatted as NTFS. Your Mac can read NTFS but can not write to it.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you wish the drive to be compatible for both your Mac and PC, then it has to be FAT-32 but with the file size limitation. Otherwise if you use NTFS, you'll need third party software to read-write with your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
raj1

yeah i did it with fat -32,i want to use it in both pc and mac,i want to copy files more than 4 gb,so i need to format by ntfs, & which third party software can i get? is it free or do i need to buy it?please help me...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What operating system are you using? If you're using Snow Leopard, you may be able to just turn on its built in ability to read and write to NTFS, otherwise I recommend Paragon NTFS. It's $39.95 US but it can go both ways - it allows you to R/W to NTFS from your Mac and also is able to R/W to your Mac from Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
raj1

I'm using snow lepord, is there any other option without buying the software and use the hard drive for both mac and pc,I have my old files in my pc , in which are like 8 gb files how can i get them...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Troubleshooting | Apple MacBook Pro MB991LL/A or Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A »