New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

My trusty old iBook has finally died.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tangotoon

tangotoon is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I would like to know how to save my iBook essentially, and figured someone here might know.

iBook G4 1.42ghz, 14 inch. 1gb RAM. Running Leopard.

So I've been having problems with it freezing a lot recently, and making a chugging sound as it catches up (sounds like it's coming from the had drive, no idea).

I run disk utility, says invalid node structure? always freezes up when it gets to checking catalog.

So mac was still working, just freezing up sometimes.

I ran fsck -fy. It comes back with invalid node structure, same problem with catolog, then says **FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED**. I think 'great' it's fixed something maybe? Run it again, says now Volume Check Failed. disk03: I/O problem. (Sorry being a bit vague with details, terrible memory, will get exact details if needed).

So it won't start up now at all. I ran fsck -fy to fix it, and it's broken it. I'm backed up, which is good but I'm so poor I can't afford new one and no job, need this computer to send out CV's, do my blogging duties etc!

I have a copy of DiskWarrior 4.1.

Disk's in, turn it back on, hold C. Nothing, it just does what it did before the same, tries to boot up, hard drives makes a chugging sound, catches up, and then just turns off.

Hold down option key, won't show the disk, just my had drive.

When cmd-s. will run fsck -fy still, and will reboot.

Is there any way to save this iBook guys? At the moment the only thing with processing power I have is my Nintendo Wii, and my phone. What sucks it I recently bought more ram and a new charger for this mac, and now it's bust! And I have a old projector I love and use all the time, but nothing to connect to it now to watch movies from!

If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful. Has the hard drive completely failed? Is it all un repairable? Is it dead forever?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Your hard drive is shot. You'll need to replace it.

Once you replace it, you'll need to reinstall Mac OS X on it, and format it for use with Mac OS X (which it should do). Your options are Tiger or Leopard. Considering the processor speed, I'd say Leopard is good, Tiger is much better. But your choice to make.

To clarify though- is it your back up drive, or the internal, or both, that are "catching up, chugging, and dying"?

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Do you have the OSX DVD/CD that came with your iBook? If so put in the DVD and hold C right after the startup sound. KEEP C down till it starts to boot. Once in the installer look up top for the Utilities menu and run Disk Utilities and Repair Disk from there. See if that fixes it.

If not then like was said above, you need a new Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

Thank you for the replies guys. Unfortunately I can't find my leopard disc, but when I do I'll try that before searching for hard drives.

So it looks like I'm going to have to get a new hard drive then? Are they easy to put in myself/format and get everything running again?

It's my internal hard drive that's chugging, my external's fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Taking apart the iBook G4 is not the easiest thing in the world. There are many take apart guides on the net though. I think I used the one on iFixit. Just be careful and do not loose any screws! There are MANY!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Taking apart the iBook G4 is not the easiest thing in the world. There are many take apart guides. I think I used the one on iFixit. Just be careful and do not loose any screws! There are MANY!
I'm about to take apart an iBook G3 (very similar process to the iBook G4) to replace the hard drive. The iFixit procedure is something like 42 steps!!!

This is compared to 13 steps to replace the "upper case" (keyboard, trackpad, and all associated plastic) on a 13" Macbook...which I did two last week.

"tangotoon": Don't forget you need a "spudger"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

Thanks, but what on earth is a spudger? I'm going to have to buy a harddrive, buy a tiny screw driver, and do all this nonsense, I'm starting to think maybe it'd just be easier to just not have a computer, or wait 6 months and buy a new mac? Or maybe build my own linux pc for a few hundred?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotoon View Post
Thanks, but what on earth is a spudger?
Have you tried entering "spudger" into Google? Basically for your purposes...it's a nylon/plastic prying tool.

A new internal hard drive (depending on size), screw drivers, and a spudger...will only cost you $50-$75 bucks. On the other hand...if you can go 6 months without a computer...go for it.

BTW...if you're able to build your own computer & using Linux OS...how is it you don't know what a "spudger" is?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

Tell you what, that spudger does sound very useful!

I had just been reading up guides on how you can build your own computer for less then 200 bucks, not actually done anything like that. I used to have a pc about 10 years ago, and used to take it apart and replace stuff all the time, but that was ten years ago! So obviously not the same! I was using windows 98 back then I think!
QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

sorry forgot to ask, I've been ebaying and googling, but wondered if you knew best/cheapest website to get a hard drive for ibook from? Where'd you get your new one from?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotoon View Post
Tell you what, that spudger does sound very useful!

I had just been reading up guides on how you can build your own computer for less then 200 bucks, not actually done anything like that. I used to have a pc about 10 years ago, and used to take it apart and replace stuff all the time, but that was ten years ago! So obviously not the same! I was using windows 98 back then I think!
Regarding the hard drive purchase. I would probably buy from these guys if I was purchasing a new hard drive:

OWC

...I bought two used laptop drives for my iBook G3 project (20gig & a 30 gig) for $15 bucks on Friday.

Also...here's a photo of the iBook G3 I just took apart this afternoon (below). Notice the tools I used:

- screw drivers
- spudger (I couldn't find my "regular" spudger, so I used a plastic disposable picnic knife)
- and the 2 sheets of 8.5 x 11 copy paper for the screws that were removed.

Each space on the paper has the number of the corresponding disassembly step from iFixit: The free repair manual. And notice the positions of the screws. They're not just arranged randomly...they're in the exact position they're supposed to be in from the disassembly.

Hope this helps (I apologize if the photo is on the large side for some folks),

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

Wow that's some picture!
Yeah if I do it I'll have to seriously decide what i'm going to do first, new linux tower, buy a 2nd hand macbook off ebay, or just fix one I've got, shoulder shrug.

These laptops are 6 years old though, I mean they're falling apart, well mine is. Does anyone think it would just be worth it to build self a new tower, maybe even put mac osx on it? or linux? and that would last longer then my now 6 year old laptop? So far it's had new keyboards, 3 new chargers, a new logic board few years ago, and new case twice I think. Now hard drive's gone, the battery holds no charge and just falls out as the thing to hold it in properly is broken. Is this a sign to give up?

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...?refs=52420000
This is the hard drive I was thinking of getting.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

OSX on non apple hardware is against both Apples EULA and it also breaks the DCMA so that would not be a good idea. If you love OSX and Macs, fix it or get a newer Macbook or something like that.

I changed my hard drive. Not because it died but because 40GB was too small for me and what I need on a notebook. I have the very last gen 12" iBook G4 though. It's now 5 years old and still works as good as the day I bought it. Just 2x the RAM and 4x the hard drive space!

GREAT Picture Nick! WOW! That is how I did my iBook. All the screws in their own place so I could remember where they all went later. I wish I lived close to you. It would be fun to come over to your Mac house and visit sometime!
That is the way to fix an iBook!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
GREAT Picture Nick! WOW! That is how I did my iBook. All the screws in their own place so I could remember where they all went later. I wish I lived close to you. It would be fun to come over to your Mac house and visit sometime!
That is the way to fix an iBook!
Thanks a bunch man!

Yeah...step 35 of 42 had you removing 14 screws of various lengths & diameters (most other steps had you removing 2-4 screws in one step). There's no way I would have remembered where all of them went without laying them out properly on the paper.

If they move California closer East...you're welcome over to the "Mac House" anytime! If we combined our two Macintosh collections...we would have one heck of a Macintosh computer museum!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
tangotoon

Hey guys, just to check, it is the 2.5 drive I need right? And that hard drive seem all right to you guys? I really have no idea, or access to a computer long enough to do any proper searching.

Do promise if I change the hard drive, I'll show you guys a picture! haha
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LCD damaged | where can i trad my old mac powerbook and get a fair deal, to buy a intel mac? »