New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New silent, quick hard drive....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jack06

Jack06 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
First off, this is my first post, it look like I can learn a huge amount from this forum and look forward to helping others too!
I want to upgrade my Macbook Pro to make it as quick and efficient as possible as soon it will be my primary computer, I was looking at the Momentus XT as a possible hard drive but heard it gets quite loud and vibrates under load. I would mostly be using my Macbook Pro for movies, and studying, but might delve into Keynote for presentations etc. I love how the Macbook Pro is so quiet so if possible would like to keep that quality with the new hard drive as well as keeping costs down. I would need at least 500GB, anyone have any experiences?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

You stated "silent" and "costs down" and they don't usually go together:

Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

500GB and 5400 RPM would be your best yet.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Here you go. Take your choice - prices starting at $1499.00.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Here you go. Take your choice - prices starting at $1499.00.
Quit making me drool! That is why I stated silent and cheap don't mix. Now quiet and cheap on the other hand. That's a different story
QUOTE Thanks
Jack06

Hi Guys,
Fair enough, Would you say that a 5400RPM coupled with 4GB RAM should make my Macbook Pro reasonably fast in loading applications like pages, iPhoto etc?
mdfuller, I guess I used the wrong word, when I said silent I meant quiet in as much as I've heard complaints that the Momentus XT vibrates a bit and makes noise, for me where I won't be doing any HD video editing or really CPU intensive tasks, it doesn't seem like a good trade-off, gaining possible noise and vibration for an increase in speed where it's not necessarily needed..
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If you want fast then you need to go with a 7200 RPM. Faster means more heat, and possibly vibration. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
If you want fast then you need to go with a 7200 RPM. Faster means more heat, and possibly vibration. >_<"
And anything over 7200 will be faster, but it definitely means more noise and/or heat in most cases.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Jack06

Maybe it's just worth upgrading to a 500GB hard drive (5400RPM) and upgrading the RAM to 4GB, maybe this will give me enough of a boost on speed without compromising battery life and/or heat and vibration
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
And anything over 7200 will be faster, but it definitely means more noise and/or heat in most cases.
Do they even have anything faster than 7200 for Notebooks? I've seen some 2.5" HDDs that are running at 10000 RPM but they require a huge heatsink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack06 View Post
Maybe it's just worth upgrading to a 500GB hard drive (5400RPM) and upgrading the RAM to 4GB, maybe this will give me enough of a boost on speed without compromising battery life and/or heat and vibration
That's totally up to you. If you want your applications to load fast and save files quickly then you will need a 7200 RPM or SSD. RAM doesn't make your system run faster...just smoother.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Fair enough, Would you say that a 5400RPM coupled with 4GB RAM should make my Macbook Pro reasonably fast in loading applications like pages, iPhoto etc?
Well if you care about application startup speed then you need a faster hard drive. I have a 7200 RPM drive and it's not really that loud, hot, or has much vibrations but everyone has their own levels of tolerance. Also not all drives are built the same so make sure you read up on the reviews.

A SSD is really what you want but it's a costly solution. It is both fast and silent. You are going to have to choose which is more important to you and how much you can afford. Increasing performance comes with it's drawbacks. For example buying a fast sports car means you get less fuel economy. You have to just choose which is more important to you.
QUOTE Thanks
Jack06

Hi Endless,
thanks for the reply, I guess the closest I will come to SSD is the Momentus and it's 4GB...
Could you tell me something, I understand that your most used programs are put into the SSD, but if your most used programs changed, does the SSD update, or would I have to manually reset the SSD (if that's possible)?
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Hi Endless,
thanks for the reply, I guess the closest I will come to SSD is the Momentus and it's 4GB...
Could you tell me something, I understand that your most used programs are put into the SSD, but if your most used programs changed, does the SSD update, or would I have to manually reset the SSD (if that's possible)?
Cheers

If you do end up purchasing a SSD it's basically the same as any storage device. You install the Operating system and all your programs/applications onto the SSD.

When you are working you save a copy to the SSD, and then copy that file over to an external storage device. IE. External HDD, USB pen/thumb drive.

Saving directly to a USB pen/thumb drive is just asking for corrupted data.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Almost a year since the last post on this issue of a 7200, and noisier, HD, but it's of great interest to me at this stage. I've just transplanted a new Seagate 500 Gb 7200 rpm drive into my Macbook, replacing the original Fujitsu 120 Gb 5400. There is now a distinct humming noise, that I thought initially was a boat out on the nearby bay!

Any 'cures' for this noise, or does one just learn to live with it? At least the 'plink' noise of the Fujitsu head being parked has been relocated to the external enclosure .

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

I just got a new Macbook Pro with a 128GB SSD and used an OWC disk doubler to replace the optical drive with a Seagate 500GB Momentus XT - which seems extremely quiet to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weak wireless | MBP5,5 ram upgrade vs. bus speed »