Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is a bit more durable?
    So I took my MacBook to class..of course, I generally know to put my MacBook securely in my backpack- the backpack is meant for notebook computers. So I pull it out and find a bunch of marring marks and abrasions from the inside- and there was nothing else in there. Chide me on that if you will.

So, which is more durable to withstanding such abuse? The aluminum MacBook Pro or the plastic MacBook? I'm thinking of handing down my MacBook to my Mom in a couple years and purchasing a new MacBook Pro (but that's at a later date).
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    So, which is more durable to withstanding such abuse? The aluminum MacBook Pro or the plastic MacBook? I'm thinking of handing down my MacBook to my Mom in a couple years and purchasing a new MacBook Pro (but that's at a later date).
    IMHO...DEFINITELY the plastic/polycarbonate MacBooks are more durable! Normally the worst thing that happens to the plastic Macbooks is you get little "swirly" marks on the housing...but these are actually hard to see unless the light hits it just right.

Those aluminum housings are just TERRIBLE for any sort of scratch, ding, or dents! I've had my 17" Aluminum Macbook Pro in a hard shell since day one! I'm sure the same "abuse" that would cause an awful looking dent on an aluminum MBP probably wouldn't even be noticed on a plastic Macbook.

Unfortunately (if you want to purchase a Macbook Pro in the future)...they only come in aluminum (at least currently). Who knows in a couple years.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Really comes down to protecting your investment and how you take care of it. This way you can make something last for a long time.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Moved to appropriate form.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    A scratch is a scratch on both models. A dent on a pro is a crack on white mb. If you are so worried about "such abuse," why not just protect it?
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    A scratch is a scratch on both models. A dent on a pro is a crack on white mb. If you are so worried about "such abuse," why not just protect it?
    Agreed. Might I recommend one of these?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    That'll be my Christmas gift if I order one. I don't know where else I can find it.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    That'll be my Christmas gift if I order one. I don't know where else I can find it.
    I've seen some at the Apple store near where I live, and I have also seen it sold at the student book store at my Uni.

This might also help. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I've seen some at the Apple store near where I live, and I have also seen it sold at the student book store at my Uni.

This might also help. >_<"

Ah I see said the blind man.

By the way, what web browser are you using? Are those extensions that are making it look like that?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3

Specs:
    Ah I see said the blind man.

By the way, what web browser are you using? Are those extensions that are making it look like that?
    Umm slightly off topic, but it's Firefox. Using a theme called GrApple Yummy. Which is only available for the Mac.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
    Looks to be just what I'm after as well.

Question on the 'black' version ... does anyone know if you can see the glowing Apple logo through the lid cover? The sample photos I've seen show that with the other colours you can still see the Apple glowing through but not with the black.

Trouble I have is when using my MBP at work (in the middle of a sea of Win based Dells, HPs, Samsungs etc) it draws attention and shows that I'm obviously sitting there doing private stuff on my own laptop in the firm's time. If it were disguised as bog-standard black & boring and with no glowing logo showing through then it would pass the 'brief glance in my direction' test. Then everyone would think I was extremely industrious when actually I'm sitting there doing my college work

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Looks to be just what I'm after as well.

Question on the 'black' version ... does anyone know if you can see the glowing Apple logo through the lid cover? The sample photos I've seen show that with the other colours you can still see the Apple glowing through but not with the black.

Trouble I have is when using my MBP at work (in the middle of a sea of Win based Dells, HPs, Samsungs etc) it draws attention and shows that I'm obviously sitting there doing private stuff on my own laptop in the firm's time. If it were disguised as bog-standard black & boring and with no glowing logo showing through then it would pass the 'brief glance in my direction' test. Then everyone would think I was extremely industrious when actually I'm sitting there doing my college work

Dave B.
    How about putting a black piece of paper or something inside the shell to block the apple logo?

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Thanks for the link, just ordered a black satin for 15" MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by LandonAB View Post
    How about putting a black piece of paper or something inside the shell to block the apple logo?
    Or you could dim the screen a little. The logo is lit up by the screen backlight.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3

Specs:
    MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandonAB View Post
    @LandonAB ..... Popped into my local Apple store and they had these cases on the shelf to was able to have a try. The glowing logo does show through the black case slightly but not as much as the lighter colours. As you say, a little black tape (or similar) on the inside of the case lid should do the rick. ... so I bought it

Dave B.

Thread Information