New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Internet Explorer for MacBook os x

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KOK

KOK is on a distinguished road

Hallo,

I'm looking for a version of Internet Explorer for my Mac. It must be version 6 or above, at the moment all I can find is v5. any help would be greatly appreciated as it means I can do most of my work from home!

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Don't believe it exists..if you need a newer version of IE, you'll have to use it within Windows...

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There is no Internet Explorer for OS X beyond version 5. Microsoft stopped development long time ago.

If you need IE, then you'll need to run it via Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOK View Post
Hallo,

I'm looking for a version of Internet Explorer for my Mac. It must be version 6 or above, at the moment all I can find is v5. any help would be greatly appreciated as it means I can do most of my work from home! Cheers!
As you've been told IE 5 is the latest for OS X and MS has quit developing a version for the Mac. However, if you're using Safari, you can add the developer menu to Safari by opening Safari preferences and click on the Advanced Tab. Then, place a check in "Show Developer Menu".

Restart Safari. Now click on the "Develop" menu item, place your cursor on the "Agent" selection right arrow.... now select which version of IE you would like Safari to emulate.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Changing your user agent string is only going to help if the page has been coded to prevent non-IE browsers from entering. If the page uses ActiveX, it won't matter what your user agent string is when you try to use it. What is the webpage?

If you do need IE and don't want to run Windows, you could try CrossOver. There is some support for IE 7 and 8. If you do go this route, I would test it first as it may not work perfectly. Here is a list of the versions CrossOver supports and how well they are supported.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
ElegantEsthetic

ElegantEsthetic will become famous soon enough

I think that my main question would be: why would you want to run IE? Safari, even with all of its flaws (I prefer Chrome) is light-years ahead of Internet Explorer. =/
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you really must run IE, CrossOver supports it. In fact, it has a preconfigured "bottle" that will download and install it for you.

CrossOver Bottles Features - CodeWeavers

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantEsthetic View Post
I think that my main question would be: why would you want to run IE? Safari, even with all of its flaws (I prefer Chrome) is light-years ahead of Internet Explorer. =/
Doesn't matter how far ahead of IE any other browser happens to be, if the site you need only works in IE. We have 2 such sites our business uses. Can't even log into either one of them from a non-IE browser.

Although one of them is now moving into the 21st century. They're in beta testing now getting a new site up that will work on Macs and from IE, FF and Safari. Still doesn't work with Opera though - tees me off.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantEsthetic View Post
If a site uses ActiveX, it doesn't matter how good your browser is because only IE supports it. So yes, while many browsers may perform much better, it still has more than 50% of the market and some developers go for the largest user base, not necessarily what's better.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Unfortunately if your site needs ActiveX then Crossover and Wine don't seem to work very well. I've gotten IE to work in both but I could never get any of the ActiveX stuff to load. If you are going to an ActiveX site then your best bet is bootcamp and/or Parallels/Vmware.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Damaged mac book... how much is it worth? | Power adapter LED color issues? »