New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

how to make my canon pixma mx340 work on my macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtran91

jtran91 is on a distinguished road

i'm getting kind of frustrated. i tried printing something from my MBP and nothing seems to be working. i installed the cd and everything and when i print something out from pages from iwork a canon mx340 series window shows up with what is currently printing and it says the printer is offline even when i got it plugged via usb and turned on. why isn't my MB detecting it? please help! and also how do you print wireless? that's the main reason why i bought the printer was that it said you can print "wirelessly" through your wifi. please help, college is starting soon again and i won't have time to do all of this so i have to get this done now. thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
marco88

marco88 is on a distinguished road

did you try to download the proper driver from canon official website?

this is a link from canon-europe:

PIXMA MX340
QUOTE Thanks
Eric Kildebeck

Eric Kildebeck is on a distinguished road

I had this problem for a MacBook Pro. Here are the steps that fixed it for me:

1) Open Printer & Fax under Hardware in System Preferences (on the dock)

2) Double click a printer and you will get the options 'Set default printer' and 'Restore printer system'. Choose 'Restore printer system'. Note: this will remove all printers from your printer list

3) Click Add (+) to add a new printer. For me, the scanner appears immediately as Printer Name: Canon MX340 series, Kind: Bonjour Scanner, and the printer takes 10 seconds or so and appears with a lot of numbers after the name, Kind: canonijnetwork.

4) Choose the printer. Change the name if you like. Select Add.

5) The printer appeared in my list with the status 'Idle', as opposed to 'Offline', and I was able to send print jobs wirelessly immediately.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Waldo Weiner

Waldo Weiner is on a distinguished road

I can vouch: Eric's solution works!
Thanks/
QUOTE Thanks
mandy pelton

mandy pelton is on a distinguished road

I specifically registered for an account on this site to say THANKS to Eric for helping me figure out a longstanding problem between my computer and my printer. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
skybunkerboy

skybunkerboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric - eased the pain on what I was expecting to be quite an irritating problem
(I'd installed the drivers on 2 macbooks in exactly the same way at the same time - 1 was happy and printed straight away and the other one displayed jtran91's problem)
QUOTE Thanks
Cathy Moeschet

Cathy Moeschet is on a distinguished road

Eric,

Like Mandy, I registered specifically to thank you. I had the exact same problem and thought I was losing my mind. I really needed the printer on short notice and was having a fit! Thanks again!

Cathy Moeschet
QUOTE Thanks
Wadey

Wadey is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric. At least your post let me find "printers & faxes", although the system preferences were on the ribbon at top, not the dock at the bottom.
But double clicking on the printer icon got me nowhere.

It seemed that the printer had been set to "idle". Once I corrected that, I got it to print the first 1.5cm of and A4 photo, which is better than nothing, but not much.

I would really like to know how to delete one or more printers, bearing in mind the double click bit doesn't work. There are 2 installations of my printer, which may be causing a problem.

Anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air storage question.. | I've got a normal MacBook battery question! Assistance please? :) »