New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help with Mounting External HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roblo

roblo is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Os X Version 10.5.8. I recently purchased a SeaGate FreeAgent Go 500GB External HD for backup purposes. When I plug it into the USB port, the Free Agent lights up and it sounds like it's working (I mention this because it seems that there is some issue in the forums about power supply) . When I try to mount it via disk utility, it doesn't show up. I've also installed the NTFS 3g for macs so that I can move it back and forth between macs and PCs. Any ideas or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You shouldn't need Disk Utility to mount the Seagate regardless of how it's formatted. Does the drive mount when you plug it into a USB port? Also, the drive may be formatted as FAT-32 rather than NTFS.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
roblo

roblo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You shouldn't need Disk Utility to mount the Seagate regardless of how it's formatted. Does the drive mount when you plug it into a USB port? Also, the drive may be formatted as FAT-32 rather than NTFS.

Regards.
Thanks for helping out. It doesn't mount when I plug it into a USB port. As far as I can tell from the box, it's NTFS formatted. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If it won't mount, it could be that your USB port is not providing enough power. Did you try another port? Or do you have a dual USB cable that you can try? That's a cable with two USB connectors on the output end and one on the receiving end. It enables the drive to use two ports at the same time.

If none of that works and the drive refuses to mount, contact Seagate and ask for a RMA as the drive may be defective.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Carbonite - Mozy - and other online backup programs | Spilled water on my macbook): How much will it cost? »