New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Carbonite - Mozy - and other online backup programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I'd really appreciate thoughts and reviews about Carbonite, Mozy and other available online backup programs.

Quick history: I had a 250GB Western Digital (WD) external drive for use with my MacBook's Time Machine. It worked flawlessly for over a year but last week it started clicking and wouldn't work. I liked the WD "Passport for Mac" drive I saw at Staples and bought the 500GB version for $120 plus tax. Got it home, plugged it in and the next thing I knew, it had downloaded the software and was backing up my MacBook. I was pleased.

Then today, I plug the drive in and the MacBook doesn't recognize it. When I call up the software, it doesn't recognize it. Now I'm sitting here with a drive with my data on it that I can't take back for a refund because I can't erase the data on it! HELP!!

I'm a recovering Windows user and will be an Apple guy for the rest of my life but I'm still in the learning curve for Mac. I really need some help on this. OH... I forgot to mention... when I called Tech Support at Western Digital, I got some gal who told me she was "Sorry, but we don't support Macs." WHAT? Then why are they selling something called, "Passport for Mac?" This is absurd.

That is why I'm seriously considering signing up for one of the online backup services. I don't have nuclear launch codes on my MacBook but I wouldn't want to lose family photos, phone book, calendar and all that if I can help it. And with my luck, my 3 year-old MacBook's hard drive might crap out on me at the most inopportune time.

Thank you all very much for whatever help and advice you can offer. Have a great weekend.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the drive won't mount you may wind up having to use recovery software to access and copy your data to a safe place. Data Rescue 3 is generally considered to be one of the best recovery programs. You can download their trial version to test whether or not it can recover your data. If it can, buy a license to turn on the full capability of the program. ($99)

Some advice about storing valuable files on an external hard drive: Things like photos and other family items, etc. are too valuable to trust to a hard drive only. It's best to burn copies to DVDs and store them in a safe place. DVDs don't crash and last for years.

As for Carbonite or any other on line storage, you make the call. Do a Google search for on line storage reviews and compare.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

I simply can't afford to buy a recovery program. I've been unemployed for over 2 years now and I'm living on a very fixed and limited budget; in fact, my "discretionary income" is around $40 a month after buying food. It was very hard for me to lay out $120 for what I thought was going to be a good external drive. Western Digital should not be allowed to market something for the Mac that they don't support; crooks. Maybe I'll just take your suggestion and back up my photos to DVDs. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

+10 for DVDs. $10 will buy a ton of them and you can make copies of copies of copies. Value-wise, they their cost/persistence still beats magnetic media. At work, we have to replace LTO4 tapes more often that simple DVD-RW disks. Make a DVD, put it in a zip-lock, bury it in the yard, and it'll be there for you in 10 years. Not so sure if an online service will be though...

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

I like your signature, "A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone."

A favorite of mine is, "When seconds count, the police are only MINUTES away."

Thanks for your post.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

LOL...

How about:
"Why would you ever carry a gun?"
"It's easier than carrying a Cop!"

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Could I please get a copy? billwill@triad.rr.com
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You can find the avatar on Google Images,
Infidel Inside - Google Search

And a sticker on eBay,
Infidel Inside Decal Sticker: eBay Motors (item 280547318119 end time Sep-09-10 22:55:26 PDT)

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook g4 dvd player issue | Help with Mounting External HD »