New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2009 MBP - Possible Trackpad Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tricky10

tricky10 is on a distinguished road

Hey everybody, so I've got a 2009 MBP and I think that there is a problem with the trackpad.

Every so often (maybe 1-5 times per day) the cursor on the screen will behave as though I have my finger permanently depressed and I'm trying to select things on screen. So for example, if I'm browsing the internet and I'm moving my cursor around, it will be selecting everything on the page, causing it to scroll down, obscure things etc.

The cursor will just continuously draw boxes on the desktop, again trying to select objects even though I haven't initiated such actions.

No amount of clicking/double clicking will remove the problem and I basically have to restart the machine so that it is usable again.

It's hard to explain so I'm sorry if I haven't conveyed the problem properly. I'll try and get a video if need be.

I've also reinstalled Snow Leopard and the problem is still there, leading me to believe that it's a hardware problem.

I've never used the Genius Bar before and although I have Apple Care, I'm reluctant to take it in because the problem isn't replicable, it appears once or twice per day.

Or maybe I'm missing some sort of software configuration that has gone completely over my head, but even so, the MBP has been fine for about 11 months up until now...

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Have you installed the trackpad update (Post Date: July 27, 2010)? My GF's MBP had periodic erratic trackpad behavior and this has seemed to completely solve it.

Magic Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.0

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
tricky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brairden View Post
Have you installed the trackpad update (Post Date: July 27, 2010)? My GF's MBP had periodic erratic trackpad behavior and this has seemed to completely solve it.

Magic Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.0
Thanks for the response.

I installed the update and I thought that it solved the problem but it happened again. It's completely random.

I've included a video just to show how annoying it it.

YouTube - MBP Trackpad Problem
QUOTE Thanks
Seydurin

Seydurin is on a distinguished road

have you disabled one finger dragging?
QUOTE Thanks
tricky10

Seems to be a bug from the latest update. This one is really annoying.

Trackpad issue stuck on dragging and selecting - Mac Forums
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seydurin View Post
have you disabled one finger dragging?
Yes the OP should try turning off one finger "tap to click" and "dragging". See if the problem persists. I have also installed the trackpad update on my 2009 and don't have any problems but I do have those two features turned off.

When those two one finger gestures were on I had similar problems as tricky10 but not as bad. This was way before the trackpad update. I found those features annoying so I've had them turned off since getting my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Sleeper

Sleeper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky10 View Post
Seems to be a bug from the latest update. This one is really annoying.

Trackpad issue stuck on dragging and selecting - Mac Forums
since installing a recent update i have been experiencing this.. changing some trackpad setting does solve it for me.. but i use one finger dragging, i had thought that it was the "drag lock" that had been enabled but no..
i am able to get it back to the correct way, generally only after of few seconds of erratic multiple clicks or some doubletaps or some two finger taps..
but its highly irritating,
i wonder if mac know, i figure its a bug as it happened the day of the update and ever since, but never before.
if they do, i guess its just a wait and see situation.. hopefully it gets sorted soon
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow leopard disk utility help! | Film Protection »