New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading the Logic Board in my Current 2007 MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tears2040

tears2040 can only hope to improve

My current MBP is a 2.2ghz Intel Core Duo which came with the 128Mb 8600M Gt Nvidia graphics card.

Within these same line up of computers ( 15'4" ) I know the fastest one was a 2.6ghz, so is it possible to do or does anyone know of someone who has done this?

I can buy this logic board for like $600 and sell mine for around $300, which would mean I would only spend about $300 to do this. Any other computer would an express card slot would cost me 3-4X as much ( $1500+ )
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm going to say that I doubt you can do it. I'm not exactly sure what logic board you want to buy (but if it's a very recent logic board)...because Apple has switched to the non-user replaceable battery, the logic boards have probably been redesigned due to the different battery. Also, both logic boards would need to have the same ports in the same places in order to be swappable as well.

If you really want or need a newer & faster laptop...best bet is sell your current laptop & buy a newer used one...or a completely new one.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tears2040

These are the Santa Rosa MBPs that went all the way up to 2.6ghz. This is a late 2007 model which were all pre unibody, so I'm 99% sure it would work, the only problem is finding somewhere that has them.

So to my understanding all of the 15.4" are all the same, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
These are the Santa Rosa MBPs that went all the way up to 2.6ghz. This is a late 2007 model which were all pre unibody, so I'm 99% sure it would work, the only problem is finding somewhere that has them.

So to my understanding all of the 15.4" are all the same, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work
If you're 99% sure it will work...then go for it. It's very rare to be 99% sure of many things you haven't done before...so if you're 99% sure...then you should do it.

Two additional thoughts:

1. If it's possible to upgrade your laptop in this manner...why haven't others done it? If other folks have done it...you would probably find some reference to it on the internet of a successful upgrade.

2. Do you REALLY think this is a financially intelligent project? Is it really worth upgrading your laptop from 2.2 to 2.6 ghz for the amount of money you have to spend? Again...if it is...why haven't others do it & there be references to it on the internet?

I know that you said that you're 99% sure it can be done...but I'm still saying that this project either can't be done due to some sort of technical aspect...and even if it was possible...is it really financially worth it.

I really don't mind being proven wrong! If you do decide to do the project...please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
tears2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you're 99% sure it will work...then go for it. It's very rare to be 99% sure of many things you haven't done before...so if you're 99% sure...then you should do it.

Two additional thoughts:

1. If it's possible to upgrade your laptop in this manner...why haven't others done it? If other folks have done it...you would probably find some reference to it on the internet of a successful upgrade.

2. Do you REALLY think this is a financially intelligent project? Is it really worth upgrading your laptop from 2.2 to 2.6 ghz for the amount of money you have to spend? Again...if it is...why haven't others do it & there be references to it on the internet?

I know that you said that you're 99% sure it can be done...but I'm still saying that this project either can't be done due to some sort of technical aspect...and even if it was possible...is it really financially worth it.

I really don't mind being proven wrong! If you do decide to do the project...please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck,

- Nick

Just because someone has not done it, does not mean it cannot be done. Maybe no one ever thought about doing it, Strange rite?

a 2.6 MBP would cost around $1200, if you can find the logic board for like $500-700 then it would be worth it. The newer Macbook Pros have glossy screens and do not have an express slot. This is my main reason for wanting to do this upgrade.

6 months ago when my Video Card died Apple replace my computer with a new Logic Board, the same one that came from the factory. I'm 99.99% sure they could have easily placed a 2.6ghz Santa Rosa in there as everything is exactly the same.

I'm trying to track a logic board down, once I do I will update this thread
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
Just because someone has not done it, does not mean it cannot be done. Maybe no one ever thought about doing it, Strange rite?
I agree 100%! But after 2-3 years & the world wide information sharing of the internet...I would say that odds are you're not the first person to try this.

If you do find out that this logic board swap is doable...you'll have to write up a real fancy DIY on how you did it!

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP photo booth problems | iBook G4 rejects some discs »