New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My MacBook Pro is popping out DVDs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cloudpopper

cloudpopper is on a distinguished road

Lately my mac is rejecting some DVDs, including a double-sided Mortal Kombat and a couple of DVDs I made ON this very Mac before I replaced the hard drive.

Could the drive be failing?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Hello, Welcome to M-F!

Usually this kind of a problem indicates some kind of a problem with the DVD drive, so don't be to surprised if you have to have it replaced.
While it could very well be that the DVD drive is failing, it could also be that the optical sensor is dirty in some way.
My brothers MBP had a similar problem once, so we got a 5$ DVD drive cleaning disk from Staples and let it run in the drive for 5 minutes and it seemed to work after that.
Amazon.com: Memorex CD/DVD-Player Laser-Lens Cleaner: Electronics

If you have AppleCare take it to Apple, won't cost you anything to have it checked out, and if it needs replacing and you don't want to do it yourself they will do it for you.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy57366

macguy57366 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay. I would agree with McYukon on the dirty optical sensor. My dad's Dell laptop for work was doing that with videos he needed for presentations. Long story short I used a drive cleaning disk similar to the one in the above post and afterwards it worked just fine. It wouldn't hurt to do that first, and if it doesn't work (if you're still under Applecare) you can still call Apple and get their take on it.

Zach H.
PowerMac G4 AGP graphics, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, 10GB HD, 802.11g network card, 400 MHz PowerPC processor, 500GB Western Digital External HD hooked up on FW400
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleep or Shut off? Im new, please help | can someone help me figure out the retail price of my macbook pro? »