New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook fan running -- battery the cause?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

For a long time, I have had problems with the fan running on my late 2006 macbook. The fan will simply run, seemingly forever even when not under a load. I expect it to run when doing intensive work, etc., but it runs even when reading email and nothing in the background. I have tried all the suggested fixes -- SMC, PRAM, permissions, etc., but nothing has helped. I even took it in to have the tech look at it while it was still under warranty. He said he could not reproduce (can't understand that -- all I have to do is open iPhoto and the fan will start). We have cleaned the fan, etc. all to no avail.

Now the crux of the story! For some reason I decided to take the battery out of the computer and run only on electric. No fan noise! I fired up several videos at the same time, started surfing the web, had lots of things open -- all with no fan running! To check another angle, I put the battery back in, but unplugged the electric. Got a "little" fan noise, but not nearly like I had been getting. So -- question is -- what is going on here? I have always left the battery in place and keep it plugged in to the electric. Should be fine. But maybe there is a reason the fan does not run when one or the other is missing?

Would love for someone to explain what is going on here and why I am getting the behavior I am getting. Thanks for any and all input!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
AnimatedMeat

AnimatedMeat is on a distinguished road

there is a program you can download free of charge where you can directly control the macbook's built in fan. i do not know the name, but try googling it. it might fix your problem but you'll have to physically feel your computer now when you think it's getting too hot.
QUOTE Thanks
AnimatedMeat

AnimatedMeat is on a distinguished road

and yes, the battery may be the cause if it is malfunctioning and the cell is overheating. could be defective.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To Skybolt:

You probably should start monitoring the Fan speeds so you can provide us with some statistics that we can go on. Download the free SMC Fan Control app or Istat Menus (not free).

The problem you describe can be attributed to several things: Bad thermal sensor on the logic board, or malfunctioning DC input board. I've seen both of these cause run away fan speeds. Sometimes removing the battery helps (as you found out) but that also slows down your CPU.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New harddrive issues | How Do I clean my new macbook- aluminum »