New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Alternative LCD replacement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cgallery

cgallery is on a distinguished road

I have a MBP w/ 15.4" Samsung LCD w/ LED backlight. The Samsung part # for the panel is LTN154BT02.

The screen is bad.

Is there an alternative to another Samsung LTN154BT02 for replacing it?

The only replacements I'm finding are $200 (glossy) or $250 (matte). The current one is matte. These are actual Samsung parts.

I ordered another 15.4" LCD on eBay for only $100 but discovered the frame was going to show through the Apple bezel because the frame is wider on the left and narrower on the right, which is the opposite of the original Samsung frame. The eBay replacement I got (which I didn't install) was a Chi Mei N154C6-L02.

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

My advice: Only use an exact replacement LCD. Just do a search on these forums or any other forums to see the problems that can occur when purchasing inexpensive displays, or so called substitute displays.

The folks at iFixit: The free repair manual have exact Apple replacement displays and step by step instructions for changing it out.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cgallery

cgallery is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
My advice: Only use an exact replacement LCD. Just do a search on these forums or any other forums to see the problems that can occur when purchasing inexpensive displays, or so called substitute displays.

The folks at iFixit: The free repair manual have exact Apple replacement displays and step by step instructions for changing it out.

Regards.
Apple's service manual says:

"Warning: If replacing the Display Rear Housing, the correct housing must be ordered to match the installed Display Panel, or damage can result.

"Before ordering, remove the rear housing and check the manufacturer of the display panel, such as AUO, Chi Mei or Samsung—the name will be on a label somewhere on the back (examples shown below). Order the rear housing for the display panel manufacturer only."

The ifixit.com doesn't specify what panel they're selling.

The Chi Mei didn't fit due to the difference in how the frame fits.

What if ifixit ships me a panel that doesn't fit?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
What if ifixit ships me a panel that doesn't fit?
Send them an email and inquire. They don't advertise a phone number or a tech support contact number. Their home page does have an email contact request form that you can fill in.

I've emailed them before and received a response in less than 24 hours.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP running really slowly | Want a Mac for Computer Science, Advice? »