New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro HDMI Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flugtoget

flugtoget is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have an Intel 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8. I recently purchased
a Samsung P2570hd TV/Monitor. When first connected (through a dvi-d to hdmi), the computer found the monitor right away.

But now it doesn't work at all, with the monitor saying "no signal" when connected.

Things I've tried:
1) varying how I input the signal (tv off/computer on; computer off/Tv on;
disconnecting hdmi cable, etc.)
2) Use detect displays in the displays pref. (It can't find it.)
4) Changing resolution on the Mac and restarting. (I've tried almost
all of them.)

A friend thinks it is a refresh rate issue, but unless the Mac finds the
Samsung, it doesn't allow me to change the rate.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I hope everyone reading this is beginning to notice that 9 out of 10 issues raised related to connecting Macs to a TV involve... Samsung.

The best advice I can give, use DVI.

Personally, I think they know about the issue, and that's why they are practically the only TV manufacturer putting a DVI port on a TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hiseema

hiseema is on a distinguished road

This has been frustrating me for weeks. I'm begging for help with this!

I purchased a brand new MBP (OSX 10.6.6) in early 2010, and with it, the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adaptor (Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)). I also purchased a brand new Samsung TV (P2570 HD LCD TV) (Buy.com - Samsung P2570HD 25" LCD TV). I was eager to watch movies on the TV, streaming of course from my shiny new MBP.

Using a separate cable & the Mini DisplayPort, along w/ a separate audio cable, I had no problem connecting the MBP to the TV and seeing the picture/hearing the audio.

BUT--for the life of me--I absolutely cannot get the TV display to LIGHTEN UP. It is so dark. When I watch regular TV, the brightness settings are fine. As soon as I connect the MBP, everything goes to a dark shade.

We've tried all possible brightness settings on both the TV and the MBP, have reset everything, etc. etc. I'm just at a loss and so frustrated. Does anyone out there have suggestions, thoughts? Are there display settings I'm missing?

Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Look at the advice given above: Always use DVI not VGA. You're pumping an analog signal into a TV that can easily accept and display digital. Buy another adapter and try that instead. The folks at Monoprice.com carry all the cables and adapters you will ever need and at a much lower price than Apple.

I use DVI into my Samsung(s) and the display is nice and bright.
QUOTE Thanks
hiseema

chscag -- Excellent advice, thank you. When I bought my MBP (early 2010), the only Mini DisplayPort adaptor available to me from Apple was the VGA one, so I assumed that was the best one to get, even for my HDTV. I know now I was wrong!

Thanks for the link to Monoprice.com. I'm such a novice, I have no idea which is the right DVI adaptor to now get. I've attached a pic of the back of my Samsung, would you be able to find the right product on Monoprice.com and perhaps send me a link? Would be so grateful, thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samsung.jpg (622.3 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

If you get the adapter then you still need the dvi cable, so you may as well get one of the top 4 on that list, most likely the 15ft one
QUOTE Thanks
hiseema

6string -- thanks so much for the links, I just bought one on ebay, actually (a 6ft-er, which should do the trick, for about $9). This forum is amazing, I'm so grateful for the help!

Will keep folks apprised on whether the display issues are resolved, once I get my new Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable in the mail. Fingers crossed that this does the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
hiseema

Hi chscag & 6string -- just rec'd my cable in the mail (the one you (6string) suggested I buy). I hooked up the TV to the laptop, but now it's like I'm seeing only a part of my desktop on the TV screen (like, the center of the desktop ONLY). This must have something to do w/ display size/resolution? Where to find these settings, does anybody know?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Displays

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hiseema

Thanks, bobtomay. Yes, I'm in System Preferences - Displays now, trying to navigate the settings. Basically at this point, I can now see my desktop on my TV screen just fine, but I can't figure out what the right setting is for getting the entire desktop to stretch, clearly, onto the TV screen. Do you know where I can find that info or, do I just have to keep trying the different options?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Screen | Hard drive upgrade questions »