New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Spilled Whiskey ALL OVER my Mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redwingsbabe14

redwingsbabe14 is on a distinguished road

It got my keyboard really sticky and the lights are out on the keyboard. The disc drive is also sticky and I can't put any discs into it. I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little. Everything works fine on it, and I dried it out for two days in a row. But the keyboard sticking is really pissing me off.

Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsbabe14 View Post
It got my keyboard really sticky and the lights are out on the keyboard. The disc drive is also sticky and I can't put any discs into it. I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little. Everything works fine on it, and I dried it out for two days in a row. But the keyboard sticking is really pissing me off.

Suggestions?
Stop drinking whiskey!!

You are likely to see other issues down the road due to liquid damage. The true extent of the damage at this point is really unknown.
QUOTE Thanks
redwingsbabe14

redwingsbabe14 is on a distinguished road

So then who should I take it to? TO get it fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Apple

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsbabe14 View Post
So then who should I take it to? TO get it fixed?
In MANY cases...liquid spilled on a laptop results in a damaged logic board. The parts alone (depending on the laptop model) can cost upwards of $750+...then add labor if you can't do the repair yourself. This usually means (depending on the age of the computer) that a person is basically better off purchasing a new computer than repairing the old one.

Sorry...but not a pretty picture.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Look what I found at the top of this section. Click me.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagex View Post
look what i found at the top of this section. click me.
hahahahahaha!!! ;p

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The sugars in the whiskey are going to -- slowly -- eat that computer's solder and circuit board.

You may try lightly dabbing some Goo Gone on the keyboard, but the overall diagnosis is terminal. I would be very vigilant about keeping backups up to date and I would start saving for a replacement machine right now.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

That brings a new idea to the recipe for Whiskey Mac...

Whisky Mac recipe

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
neil.kay

neil.kay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 Ghz 15' MBPro, 32G iPhone3GS, 64Gb iPad 3G

Quote:
I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little.
Well, I'd say buy a bottle of whiskey and drink it, hope that eases the pain.

Eschew obfuscation.
QUOTE Thanks
MaximusUK

MaximusUK is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't be drinking Whiskey, you should be drinking Whisky!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.kay View Post
Well, I'd say buy a bottle of *Single Malt Scotch and drink it, hope that eases the pain.
*Edit

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Harmony

Harmony is on a distinguished road

I was trying to record myself doing a sexy dance for my boyfriend in Afghanistan and I some how managed to spill coffee all over my Mac. I turned it upside down hoping to minimise the liquid infiltrating the hard drive. Today when I turned it on it worked for hours while I played music but now it won't work. It just comes up with a flashing folder icon. Please help. I love that computer and I have thousands of photos on it that I never backed up.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Sorry to say Harmony,
liquid damage is already a hard luck story, if not immediate damage, eventual damage is a certainty.
Turning it on so soon, without cleaning it out and letting it dry has only made things worse.
Flashing folder icon is pretty much telling you there is corruption in your OS, or no OS.
I will direct you to this article, and hopefully you have enough success to at least go to the next step of retrieving data.
You can download spend money on data recovery software,
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

hiccup!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 13" vs MacBook Pro 15" | 15.4" Macbook Pro Display Backlight Not Working »