New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive swaps on Macbooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Ok folks....here is the situation. I have a (a) Black 13" macbook (identifier 3,1) with a 2.2ghz processor, (b) a unibody 13" macbook (identifier 5,1) 2.4ghz, and a 13" macbook pro (identifier 5,5) 2.26ghz. Macbook (a) is my girlfriends current laptop, macbook (b) is MY current laptop, and laptop (c) is a new acquisition. I would like to take laptop (c) as my new computer and give laptop (b) to my gf. Is it possible to just swap the hard drives in any of these models? In a perfect world I would love to be able to just open all of these computers up and take the hard drive from laptop (a) and put it in laptop (b), and then place the hard drive form laptop (b) drive in laptop (c), and throw the drive from laptop (c) into (a) and then sell laptop (a). I know it may sound really confusing....but I am sure that you all understand. Am I going to run into problems with this? I know I can mirror these drives if I HAVE to, but I am looking to save some work for myself here. Thanks in advance....
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Other than having to read this riddle a 2nd time through to understand what you wanted to do, that shouldn't be a problem
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Its doable

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The only problem that you could run into, is trying to put an OS that's older in any of the OS's that the laptops shipped with.
ie If your black Macbook shipped with 10.5.8, you cant put a hard drive with OS X 10.5.6 in it. It has to be 10.5.8 or later
So, as long as you upgrade the OS's if the need be, there will be no probs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« switching an external display back to macbook internal | External display & Clam Shell mode. »