New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP vs MB charger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3

Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to charge my MBP with a Macbook charger and vice versa?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

No. While I believe you can run your MBP off AC power with a MB charger, you can't use it to charge the battery. Though don't quote me on that, I'm not really sure.

The MB uses a 60W AC adapter; while the MBP uses a 85W adapter, thus there isn't enough juice to charge the battery.

As to reverse... running a MB off AC power with a MBP's 85W adapter... I don't know if that's possible.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

It depends on which MBP you are talking about? The current 13" MBP uses the same 60W charger as the MacBook while the 15" & 17" uses the 85W charger. That's the current laptops because I believe in the past Apple used different chargers for the MacBook.

The voltages are written on the charger so that's an easy way to see if they match up. I've heard of people using different wattage chargers on different laptops which worked but they had some weird problems. Some of the problems were more serious than others so it's up to you if you want to try it out.
QUOTE Thanks
beachbenefit

beachbenefit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

My house-mate has a Macbook, I have a Macbook Pro - I have used her charger at times, although I believe that is the reason my battery is now stuffed. I would suggest not using the MB charger if you have an MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3

Right, thank you all.

I have decided against it.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Displayport to DVI | Anyone know a place that sells macbook bodies? »