New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook screen size

Thread Closed

lilbit86

I am going to college this fall and would like to buy an ibook. As of now I am leaning toward the 12inch model for its portability. However I am worried that the screen might be too small when considering that a lot of my time on the computer will be writing papers. Is using such a small screen
tiring, or difficult? Should I be leaning more toward the 14inch screen? This is basically the only decision I have left before buying my notebook. I know this is a mundane question but I just would like to hear what people who actually own this computer think about the different screen sizes.

p.s. Buying an extra monitor is not an option I an on a very strict budget.

Thank you so much for any one who can help!
iMe

Since your on a strict budge, I would recomand saving the money, and possibly upgrading the ram and hardrive. Also Applecare is important when going to college, and maybe even Microsoft Office.

But All I can say is find a CompUSA/Apple Store, and test out the 12 inch. You could even find a bestbuy and just test out a 12inch PC.
lilbit86

Thank you for your reply. I was already planning to upgrading the ram, the hd, and getting apple care which is why my budget is so tight. I have been to an apple store and played around with the 12inch ibook. However playing with it for thirty minutes verses working for long periods of time on it are different things entirely. I guess I just want some peace of mind before spending up to $1500.
Stephen G

Stephen G is on a distinguished road

I have the 12" and have been more than happy with it. It's really not that big a deal, and the portability it gives you is amazing. I went through my first 3 years of college with a 14" Thinkpad thats about 50% thicker than the iBook too. You will love the portability of the 12"..
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I think a 12in would be ok if you are just writing papers with it.
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

My kid loves her 12 inch ibook. Easy to take to school and she find the screen good enough for her needs. (Keep in mind she ain't very technical she doesn't even have a cell phone.) I use mine everywhere, but mostly to work on the couch. Just remember to increase the zoom in your word processing program to at least 125%.

Bone
lilbit86

Thank you all for your help!
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit86
Thank you all for your help!
I guess I'm the only one here who'll suggest opting for the 14" model. If this is going to be your primary machine for school, you're going to want all the screen size you can get (at least I did). The 14" is still quite portable, but will be easier on the eyes when you're doing work with it.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I guess I'm the only one here who'll suggest opting for the 14" model. If this is going to be your primary machine for school, you're going to want all the screen size you can get (at least I did). The 14" is still quite portable, but will be easier on the eyes when you're doing work with it.
You're not the only one. I go the 14" one myself for the same reasons. Sure a 12" is smaller but it isn't any more 'portable' than the 14" as far as I can tell. I looked at both and ended up getting the larger screen. IMO it is the better choice, especially if it is going to be the primary machine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I would only go 14 if the screen resolution wasn't the same as the 12...
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

its still 1024....
but yeah i agree get the 14'

iCara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit86
I am going to college this fall and would like to buy an ibook. As of now I am leaning toward the 12inch model for its portability. However I am worried that the screen might be too small when considering that a lot of my time on the computer will be writing papers. Is using such a small screen
tiring, or difficult? Should I be leaning more toward the 14inch screen? This is basically the only decision I have left before buying my notebook. I know this is a mundane question but I just would like to hear what people who actually own this computer think about the different screen sizes.

p.s. Buying an extra monitor is not an option I an on a very strict budget.

Thank you so much for any one who can help!
I think the bigger screen makes a world of difference. For me it was the 12 inch PB or the 14 inch iBook and I went with the bigger screen. That's just me though
mangoSharingan

Well, I guess if you're gonna be spending most of the time on it and you have the money for it, then a 14" would be best for you. I personally would go for the 12" myself and use the spare money to upgrade but that's me I have the 12" myself and it's perfectly fine for me, which I use for hours daily as my main machine.
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

i say get the 12 inch, i use it for school and i see nothing wrong, especially since the resolution is the same for the 12 and 14 inch
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

14 inch because after typing for hours U don't want to hurt your eyes from look'n a little screen.

Thread Closed

« Problem in the Vault | Powerbook and Cisco Equipment »