New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Full Water Bottle of Nalgene on MBP Unibody - TIER 4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pooky

Pooky is an unknown at this point

I have insurance and it's covered on my own personal rider insurance . . .

My cat knocked over a full bottle of nalgene water on my MBP unibody 15" the other day.

The computer won't start up and it's just shows half of a white screen. It looks like water got into the LCD while I was turning it over and around trying to get the water out and shorted something out.

I took out the battery and HD and the back cover and literally, EVERYTHING is wet. and I mean EVERYTHING. It was A LOT of water. A LOT. The hard drive even had water in it. (I'm sure tilting it and shaking it to get the water out didn't help).

My question is . . I just sent my MBP to apple and my insurance is paying the $1300 to get it repaired. I know I have 90 days on all the new parts from Apple.

Does Apple truely replace EVERYTHING regardless of cost? I'm just basically wanting to a run down on this process. Because like a car that's been in a flood, there is a possibility that it will have tons of future problems due to the water damage. I don't want this to happen to my MBP. My fear is that I will have issues in the future with parts that apple will NOT replace that will be affected long term by the water.

Also, if apples has to replace EVERY component, will they? Or will they just call me and tell me to just get a new computer because it'll cost less.

Thanks for your help. I'm just curious. Computer is already shipped out.
QUOTE Thanks
Pooky

I've asked these questions to the people at the Genius bar and to my amazement (normally they can be perceived as "know it alls") they weren't really absolutely 100% sure. They basically just said I'd hear back from Apple within 24 hrs.

I just want my computer to be in the condition it was before the water.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Apple will either replace all the parts, or get back to you that the repair outweighs the cost of a new machine, which will be on your insurance company.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
I have insurance and it's covered on my own personal rider insurance . . .

My cat knocked over a full bottle of nalgene water on my MBP unibody 15" the other day.
<RANT> I love how people blame the pets. Unless your cat can carry the bottle of water over to your computer, this is YOUR FAULT, not the cat's fault. YOU put liquids too close to your computer.</RANT>

Quote:
Does Apple truely replace EVERYTHING regardless of cost? I'm just basically wanting to a run down on this process.
Most likely they'll replace the machine with one just like it and swap hard drives. If you're exceptionally lucky, they won't have any just like it and have to give you a new(er) one.

For the record, water doesn't actually do any harm to electronics that are turned off at the time (or sometimes immediately after the spill). If opened up and left to dry, most electronics will fully recover.

Any drinks with sugar or acid in them, however, and you're done. Even if you get the machine dried out, the sugars will remain and slowly eat at your computers like termites on rotting wood.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Mark one up for the CATS again!!!

- Nick

p.s. Of course the human left the water bottle in a bad place...with the top off!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Pooky

No, this is completely not my fault. It was 100% the cat's fault. Even the insurance company said so. Heck, even my cat said so. He said, "Meow, it's all my fault muwahahaha." They just can't sue him because well, he's a cat. Plus, the whole you can't sue a cat thing. Here's what happened, He went to the kitchen, got the water out of the faucet, came back and then looked at me, smiled and then poured it all over my computer.

I saw it all happen with my own eyes. Apparently it happens all the time with cats from what they told me. They said not to take blame and feel bad, it happens to the best of us and the liability is all on the cat. Oh those crazy cats.

While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that. I got on this board to get information I didn't know about a specific topic, not to be lectured on the obvious like who's fault it was, especially from people whose first name I don't even know. If that's the extent of you knowledge on this subject, "Uh, derrrr, it's your fault, rolled eyes." By all means post, I'd like to hear more of your amazing knowledgeable wisdom on the obvious . . . . . . .

But seriously, for those of you that can actually contribute to this tread to help myself and others (besides: "Keep water away from electronics har har har") . . .

I would appreciate the response . . .

Has anyone had any experience with Apple saying something is "beyond economical repair" on a tier 4?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
For the record, water doesn't actually do any harm to electronics that are turned off at the time (or sometimes immediately after the spill). If opened up and left to dry, most electronics will fully recover.
Must disagree chas_m!

Water ain't water, and even if water were just water...
Distilled water maybe not, and depends on how quickly and thoroughly this was reversed.
Reversing this would mean getting into every nook and cranny! Doing this would mean de soldering every component, and then taking many of the components apart, which would be physically impossible without destroying these components!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that.

I got on this board to get information I didn't know about a specific topic, not to be lectured on the obvious like who's fault it was, especially from people whose first name I don't even know. If that's the extent of you knowledge on this subject, "Uh, derrrr, it's your fault, rolled eyes." By all means post, I'd like to hear more of your amazing knowledgeable wisdom on the obvious
Obviously you were offended by some of the comments made in this thread...but to be honest when you post on an internet forum (for everyone in the world to see)...you have to be willing to accept the comments you agree with & the ones you don't agree with.

As far as being offensive. You made this statement:

"While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that."

- Is your uncle's niece really gay?
- Is your uncle really retarded?

I'm willing to bet that they are not as you say...and that you made an immature choice of words. These statements are just as (or maybe even more) offensive than anything mentioned in this thread about the damage to your computer.

So before you accuse others of being offensive...you should work on being less offensive yourself!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Pooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Obviously you were offended by some of the comments made in this thread...but to be honest when you post on an internet forum (for everyone in the world to see)...you have to be willing to accept the comments you agree with & the ones you don't agree with.

As far as being offensive. You made this statement:

"While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that."

- Is your uncle's niece really gay?
- Is your uncle really retarded?

I'm willing to bet that they are not as you say...and that you made an immature choice of words. These statements are just as (or maybe even more) offensive than anything mentioned in this thread about the damage to your computer.

So before you accuse others of being offensive...you should work on being less offensive yourself!

- Nick
Touche Nick. Fair enough.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

WOW
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Yes, Pooky got a little Spooky
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Touche Nick. Fair enough.
"Pooky"...thanks for being understanding!

We REALLY get many many of these "liquid spillage" questions from members (especially newer members)...and you would be surprised how many of these "problems" are caused (or at least involve) CATS!!!

This doesn't just involve cats knocking over beverage containers onto folks laptops...but also cats stepping on keyboard keys (and messing up settings), cats chewing on electrical cords, and cats knocking laptops onto the floor from a desk or tabletop (and serious damage occurring)!

The one thing I haven't heard yet is a cat taking a "dump" or a "whizz" on someone's laptop...but I'm sure it will happen eventually! Ha ha!

The vast majority of folks here are just trying to help (including all the folks replying in this thread)!

- Nick

p.s. I'm really glad that this damage to your laptop is covered by your insurance! Many many folks with liquid damage are pretty much "hosed"...since the Apple warranty doesn't cover this sort thing...and they don't have insurance that covers the accident. I can just imagine how devastating it would be to have saved & saved BIG BUCKS for a nice new Apple laptop, then have a beverage spilled on it, and the damage not covered by any sort of insurance.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

This isn't why I'm a dog person, but my dog definitely shows more respect to me and my belongings
**images removed...please resize**
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

theoak is on a distinguished road

Just a note to those who post large images. Many of us only have a screen resolution of 1280 pixels (or less) wide. Now we have to scroll side to side as well as down to read posts. Please consider using smaller resolution images.

Thanks! (by the way, cute dog!)

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD
QUOTE Thanks
6string

LOL, thanks, and so sorry you have to scroll side to side
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using a flashdrive | New guy here... please help! »