New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro clean up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

d_k

d_k is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I'm new to this forum

I've recently made the switch and picked up my very first Macbook Pro and I am loving it! Question though.. is there a way to clean up the disk/hardrive? I know with windows you can, but I can't figure out how to do so if it's even possible with this machine. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Welcome to M-F,
You mean like defragment? Or just general system maintenance?

And enjoy your new mac it's a swell machine.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
d_k

Both?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Ok,
Macs tend to need very little maintenance.
If your Mac has some kind of deeper problem it may be different, but normally do don't have to do a thing. It even does some house keeping by itself.
All that I do is run Repair Disk Permissions before and after I do a software update.
And while it may not seen like maintenance, keeping a up to date backup of your mac is important to. Just in case the built-in harddrive crashes or stops working.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

No, you do not need to defragment a Mac hard drive, the Mac OS Extended file format in use with Leopard and Snow Leopard automatically optimizes the location of your files.

So you don't need to do anything in that regard as the OS automatically defrags your files for you.

As for general system maintenance, I generally just run Onyx once a month, let it repair disk permissions, clear my caches, check my SMART status, etc.

Oynx is a multifunction maintenance & optimization tool.

Link to download Oynx for 10.6:
Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
d_k

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
d_k

Is OnyX basically the same program as Maintenance, in terms of their functions and use?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've used Cocktail for years:
Cocktail - Overview

AppZapper is pretty nice for cleaning up when you uninstall apps:
AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
daved9664

daved9664 is on a distinguished road

I use Onyx and AppCleaner.
AppCleaner is the same as appzapper, only free!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Get MBP now or wait for new version? | gray screen wont start up »