New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro won't go past the white loading screen!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qtip2293

qtip2293 is on a distinguished road

Ok, so a couple of days ago my MBP was running fine with no problems or glitches. However, while I was looking something up online, the computer froze. I thought nothing of it, so I let it sit. Forty-five minutes later I got pretty nervous. I tried moving the mouse, but as soon as it moved the cursor disappeared. So, after 30 more minutes, I went to a last resort. I flipped the Macbook over and pulled out the battery.
After trying to turn it back on after that, the MBP went to the usual white screen with the Apple logo. The gray gear-type thing on the bottom started to rotate, but that's as far as it got. I left it like that for hours but nothing.
So I turned it off and tried booting from the installation CD. That worked, so I opened up the Disk Utility. Thankfully, it seemed as though my hard drive was still intact after verifying it. Still, I couldn't do anything other than that.
So I decided to do an archive install to at least be able to use my computer and keep my old files (which I really need). However, the install froze at about 15% and stayed there. The mouse still moved, but the installation didn't. I left it overnight to try and see if it would work out the problems, but it didn't progress. Seeing as it wasn't moving at all, I had to turn off my computer mid-install

So now, I pretty much don't know which way to turn.

(Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, sorry if it's software)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

So you're saying that you were:

- able to boot the computer with the "installation CD"
- were able to run Disk Utility...and it said that the hard drive was ok?
- you then tried to reinstall the OS...and that's when the computer froze during installation?

My initial thoughts are something is wrong with the hard drive...but if Disk Utility (while booting from the CD/DVD)...say it's ok..then it shouldn't be the HD.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

Yepp, all of that is true. I thought it was the HD as well but when I clicked "Verify Disk" and it scanned it and what not, it said that the "disk appears to be OK". So I'm not worried about the disk that much. Also, when I clicked on it on the list, it gave me some information on it, such as the amount of gigs I've used which was perfectly accurate. Idk :/
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how full your hard drive is...or was...before the problem?

If it's too full...you won't be able to do an archive & install.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

I had plenty of space, about 70 gigs
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtip2293 View Post
I had plenty of space, about 70 gigs
Another option to try is...instead of an "archive & install"...just do a clean install.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Another option to try is...instead of an "archive & install"...just do a clean install.
Well, I really need to keep all of my old files intact, and from my understanding, I can't with a clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well, I really need to keep all of my old files intact, and from my understanding, I can't with a clean install.
We're kind of running out of options.

Do you have the original "gray" disks that came with the computer when new? Maybe this was the CD you were booting from before. On one of the disks is a hardware test program...you could try running this test...as a double check...to see if the hard drive is good/bad.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
On one of the disks is a hardware test program...you could try running this test...as a double check...to see if the hard drive is good/bad.

- Nick
I don't believe I do, but then again I'm not sure. The disc that's in my drive now is a Mac OSX install CD and the other one says "Applications Install". I don't remember a 3rd disc with a hardware test.
QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

Wait, nevermind I just read the writing on the 2nd disc about the test haha I try that, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Is the CD/DVD disk you've been using black or gray?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Wait, nevermind I just read the writing on the 2nd disc about the test haha I try that, thanks.
Ok...nevermind my previous post. Do the hardware test on CD#2.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

I believe it's gray but I have another problem now. In order to use the 2nd disk, I would have to eject the current disk in there. However, I can't eject it because OSX won't boot without it. So even if I can get to the disk utility, I would be ejecting the OSX, which it won't let me do.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I believe it's gray but I have another problem now. In order to use the 2nd disk, I would have to eject the current disk in there. However, I can't eject it because OSX won't boot without it. So even if I can get to the disk utility, I would be ejecting the OSX, which it won't let me do.
Believe me...you're not the first person to do this.

Read this:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
qtip2293

I still have no way of getting the OSX CD out to put in the other one. How can I eject it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Card MBP | New hdd for macbook pro 13 late 09 edition? »