New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

unremovable battery question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

supermama73

supermama73 is on a distinguished road

Well after going through all 16 pages of the " The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook - what should I do now?" Thread" and reading all of them only to get to the end and see "Folks, we're going to close this thread as I believe there is now a wealth of knowledge throughout the thread on how to deal with a liquid-damaged machine." Not sure what else to do but start a new thread and hope someone will feel sympathy for me and answer this question. I did see this question posed a couple times within the official thread, but no answer to it so I will try again.

This morning while cleaning my house a cup of water spilled on my closed and asleep laptop. I immediately wiped it off and honestly didn't even think any water got in it, but shut it off and flipped it over just the same. Tried to turn it on because I really didn't think any water got inside of it since it was closed and I literally wiped as soon as it spilled. I do not have any questions but one as I know I will just have to sit and wait to see what happens, but I have an unremovable battery so I am not sure how to pull out the battery as suggested in the official thread. I did remove the back cover and also blew some compressed air on it to try and dry anything out that might have seeped in. It is turned off and unplugged, but the battery is still in place as I was unsure how to remove it. Is there some step by step guide for removing the battery or should I just leave the battery in at this point and hope for the best. Thanks so much for your time to anyone who reads this and I apologize for starting a new thread on this, but since this question wasn't answered wasn't sure what else to do and figured it was worth a shot trying a new question.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The unremovable battery can be removed. Refer to the following LINK and article on how to remove it. Note that you must remove a number of phillips screws so be sure you have the proper size screwdriver to do it.

It sounds like maybe your MacBook did not get water inside of it, however, as water seems to be able to get into places that "look watertight" I wouldn't count on it. No sense to take chances. Keep the machine off, remove the battery and let it dry out for several days. Keep your fingers crossed or whatever to enhance any kind of good luck you can garner up.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama73 View Post
I do not have any questions but one as I know I will just have to sit and wait to see what happens, but I have an unremovable battery so I am not sure how to pull out the battery as suggested in the official thread.
You have to realize that "The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook - what should I do now?" thread was started when all of the laptops Apple sold at the time had the older style "removable battery".

Part of the rational of removing the battery (after a spill)...is to remove any source of electrical power as soon as possible.

With the non-removable batteries now used in Apple laptops...the procedure of removing the battery is more involved...thus more harm than good might result if a user tried to remove the "non-removable" battery...since liquid might get into additional areas of the laptop while trying to remove the non-removable battery.

It's very possible (with the inclusion of non-removable batteries in Apple laptops) that a slight modification to the steps identified in "The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook - what should I do now?" thread may be needed. Regarding how to remove the "non-removable" battery...and the appropriate cautions.

Apples official position regarding non-removable laptop batteries is (read the "note"):

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install the battery

Of course the FIRST step in avoiding this situation altogether...is to keep all laptops away from liquids!!!

I hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
supermama73

supermama73 is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your prompt reply. I will have to sit and think on this whether I want to attempt to remove the battery or not as it's been in there a good 8 hours now since the spill. I will take a look at the link and see if removing it looks like something I think I can do without causing damage.

Edited to add: Nevermind that was easy. Thanks for the help. Battery is disconnected at least.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama73 View Post
Nevermind that was easy. Thanks for the help. Battery is disconnected at least.
Good luck...hopefully your laptop is ok!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does a Macbook support Hebrew? | MacBook Pro 1st Gen / Snow Leopard / Seagate Momentus 7200.4 »