New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problem in the Vault

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MisterG

I have searched the forums and have read numerous things about problems with File Vault, but cannot seem to find my problem. The problem that I have is I turned File Vault on and I cannot turn it off. It has one simple request; it wants 4,074.8 gigs of free disk space to create a copy of the home folder, where can I get this type of disk space? Or better yet, is there a way to turn File Vault off? Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
SErgini0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG
I have searched the forums and have read numerous things about problems with File Vault, but cannot seem to find my problem. The problem that I have is I turned File Vault on and I cannot turn it off. It has one simple request; it wants 4,074.8 gigs of free disk space to create a copy of the home folder, where can I get this type of disk space? Or better yet, is there a way to turn File Vault off? Thanks for your help
yeah this si simple to turn off, but if you do you might remove the password security of your machine: Go to System preferences and in Security there is an option to Turn Off FileVault.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

just empty the trash. the trash can will look empty but go to finder and empty trash. then that should solve your 4 terabyte space needed.
QUOTE Thanks
MisterG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biturbo V12 AMG
just empty the trash. the trash can will look empty but go to finder and empty trash. then that should solve your 4 terabyte space needed.
That seemed to fix it, thanks biturbo. It is odd how simply emptying the trash allowed the action to be performed. Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
SErgini0

Excellent! It was a trash problem!
QUOTE Thanks
tisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SErgini0
Excellent! It was a trash problem!
I'm having the same problem - i need 4090 gigs to turn off the file vault. i've emptied the trash, but the problem still persists.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Try secure emptying the trash Finder -> Secure Empty Trash

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
tisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Try secure emptying the trash Finder -> Secure Empty Trash
i did that, but i still need 4000+ gigs to turn off file vault!
are there any other possible solutions aside from erasing my hard drive?

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

try one last time Restart the computer then empty the trash... if it says nothing to empty make a file and then empty it and try to turn file vault off. if that does work call apple tech support or visit your apple store.

rule #1 on macs should be-dont play with filevault unless you need it
rule #2 dont mess with voice passwords on any computer lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« speaker problems | ibook screen size »