New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook Suddenly Slow!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vbr2

vbr2 will become famous soon enough

I don't know why, but as of the last two days, my powerbook has barely been able to start and has been extremely slow. I can't scroll without waiting 15 minutes! The thing is that it was very fast prior. I don't know why. Ram is not an issue because I have 1.256 GB. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm getting the spinning rainbow thing all the time...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

did a stick of your ram go bad? If the gig stick went bad that would only leave you witn 256 of ram, check to see that you still have that much ram in the about this mac section.

If you still have the same amount of ram as when you bought the system then have your repaird persmissions lately?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

I did all of that (repairing permission things) and it helped to get me to my desktop. I can't tell if a memory stick went bad. It says I have 1.25 GB. How can I tell?
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

You don't say what OS you have, go over to this site and look around..http://www.macfixit.com/
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

Panther
QUOTE Thanks
SErgini0

Thsi si strange. I am looking forward for an answer from the experts on this forum
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Does the problem occur only in specific application, like Safari for instance? To test your RAM, run memtest and use the rember gui for a front end if you like. To see how much RAM is available, click on the apple, and then 'about this mac'.
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...macosx&x=0&y=0
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well even with only 256MB Ram it shouldn't be that slow!

Take out the RAM, reboot and see if the problem goes away.
If it does - exchange the RAM. If not: Try the other common maintenance tricks:
Repair permissions, run cron jobs (check out macjanitor).

Also check to see if the processor speed hasn't inadvertently been set to lower in the energy saver preference pane.
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
Does the problem occur only in specific application, like Safari for instance?
Nope the problem is all around. I can click on the desktop to move some files around and it runs pretty slowly. Now this is nothing compared to when I run applications in general. Applications and other operations, such as screen brightness, volume, expose, scrolling, typing all run slow. I recall closing my laptop lid hoping that it would enter sleep mode and somewhat refresh itself, but instead it didn't. The screen remained on, and after I opened the lid again, it fell into sleep mode about half a minute later. Waking it up took about ten seconds, which seems kinda long if you bother to count the seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Well even with only 256MB Ram it shouldn't be that slow!

Take out the RAM, reboot and see if the problem goes away.
If it does - exchange the RAM. If not: Try the other common maintenance tricks:
Repair permissions, run cron jobs (check out macjanitor).

Also check to see if the processor speed hasn't inadvertently been set to lower in the energy saver preference pane.
Ok, I've repaired permissions, and that helped. I've used cocktail but I'll check out macjanitor (I assume it's a program), and my energy saver preferences.

How would I go about doing the ram thing? I'm also considering a full system erase (after I transfer a copy of everything to my pc). Do you think this might help?
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
did a stick of your ram go bad?
If a stick did go bad (for future reference) would this be my fault?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbr2
Ok, I've repaired permissions, and that helped. I've used cocktail but I'll check out macjanitor (I assume it's a program), and my energy saver preferences.

How would I go about doing the ram thing? I'm also considering a full system erase (after I transfer a copy of everything to my pc). Do you think this might help?
Yep Macjanitor is a program, but it'll do more or less the same as Cocktail...

Have you tried rebooting yet? Might sound silly, but we mac users often forget that...
To get the RAM out, just follow the step-by-step instructions that should have come with your powerbook on how to add Ram, but instead remove it.

Quote:
If a stick did go bad (for future reference) would this be my fault?
No, it's usually a quality control issue, so as long as you're covered by some sort of warranty, the retailer should replace it.
QUOTE Thanks
vbr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
No, it's usually a quality control issue, so as long as you're covered by some sort of warranty, the retailer should replace it.
So it just kinda ages right? I've had my powerbook since november I think.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

My Powerbook had a very similar issue, it got very very slow. I did several things, and they really sped it back up to speed. My test was always the fps on the iTunes visualizer because I could pull that up easily. I went from approx. 15 fps, to 60 fps (average) after this....

I used MacJanitor, then I used a program called Yasu (much better program). It does the same thing as MacJanitor, but it also does many other things. For example, it clears the logs that you specify.

Repair disk permissions through the disk utility. (Yasu does this for you, but I do it a second time. Why not?)

Reset Pram and Vram. You do this by holding certain keys at startup. You'll have to look them up as I don't remember them. (or someone might post it here...)

Doing those things above are good maintenance for your Mac anyways. Also, check in the activity monitor and look at how your ram is being used. See if there are any big activities that are eating up lots of CPU or Ram.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

EDIT: it posted twice
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Headphone Jack | VERY VERY strange tihng just happened »