New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Macbook or New Macbook Pro 13--Which looks better?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jerichoa

Jerichoa will become famous soon enough

Hey, guys.

First, let me say that I struggled to decide which forum to post this in, so I hope that this is it. If it's not, I'm sorry to offend!

Now, I shall pose to you all the question. Which do you think looks better: The new Macbook or new Macbook Pro 13? If you could also include an explanation as to why you consider one to be more aesthetically appealing than the other, that would be great as well! Try not to base your decision on specs. This is a question about appearances ONLY!

Why am I asking this? I seem to flip-flop on a daily basis. When I was in high school, I would only use the white Macbooks instead of the Macbook Pros. I preferred the white. It was clean, sleek, and seemed so distinctly Apple that I couldn't resist it. When I was told that I could choose whichever computer I wanted for graduation, I went with the Macbook Pro, finding that to be the sleeker option (and the specs impressed me more as well, but truly, I did find the MBP to be more attractive).

My mom has a Macbook and sometimes I wish I'd gotten it. I LOVE the white! Other times, I don't think it's all that great and think my MBP looks better. This is very shallow. I know. I've been dying to ask it, though!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Stainless steel appliances kitchen appliances or white appliances?
You can call it preference, but I think the appeal of metallic finishes is a more mature, professional appearance.
I had the white MB before this, and after a while, it started looking like a kid's computer to me
QUOTE Thanks
Jerichoa

That's very true. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I associate the white with Apple... Like my first generation iPod Nano that I refuse to replace!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I use my MB at school only and I always get compliments on how white and clean it is. Which I think is pretty funny since it probably gets the most usage out of all my machines.

You are right about the aluminum being more professional looking. I use and bring my 15" MBP with me when I'm on a freelance job and need to pitch my concepts or show off my portfolio.

Getting the Quad Core 27" iMac soon so that might change. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichoa View Post
I seem to flip-flop on a daily basis.

My mom has a Macbook and sometimes I wish I'd gotten it. I LOVE the white! Other times, I don't think it's all that great and think my MBP looks better.
I seriously wonder where the rumor that women can't make up their minds comes from. Just kidding. You knew someone had to say it.

I've always thought the silver Mac laptops were better looking. I agree with the others in that the silver ones look more mature and professional but not only that it also has a sleek high tech look to it. I would be kind of embarrassed to bring the white MacBook to a business meeting. IMO it has to be either black or silver if your want a more mature professional look as 6string pointed out but not everyone wants that so Apple gave people two options.

I'm not saying the white MB looks bad but the silver MBP just looks better.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

The white MB is like having a starched white long sleeve shirt with reinforced collars. Looks good to go just about anywhere. The MBP is like putting on a suit. Very sharp looking. People might turn and look. But there's a chance you might be over-dressed on occasion.

This thread makes me feel like putting out another $1000 bucks just to get the MB for no better reason other than the look, since I already have the MBP. Arrgghhh...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I personally love the look of the MBP's .
QUOTE Thanks
Jerichoa

@EndlessMac (and everyone else): HILARIOUS. Way to throw a stereotype in there. :p It's usually not very difficult for me to make decisions. What I feel about Apple is that their products are a work of art. I find both machines beautiful for different reasons! The white has that classic Apple touch, and the aluminum has a more professional feel, like everyone else says. Clearly, I'm not alone in this! Look at what Quin just said. Maybe we should all have one of each?

Here's something interesting: The school district I just graduated from is in the process of issuing Macbooks and Macbook Pros to students (I never got one, this is a new thing that's starting in the coming school year for students), teachers, and administrators. The students get... White... The teachers get... WHITE! The administrators get... Macbook Pros! Interesting...
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

@Jerichoa ...you're thinking to much! hehe
QUOTE Thanks
Jerichoa

BAHAHA! I probably am. I'm an English major, so I overanalyze almost everything just for the heck of it.

It is a strange thing, though. The MBPs aren't beefed up or anything. They have the same programs and the same specs (except the pro as 4GB of RAM and a few port changes), so I can't help but wonder... It might not be an issue of appearances (one being more professional), it could just be the fact that the school system wishes to instill some visual proof of authority, so they give the administrators MBPs. They're like computer crowns. See, I thought too much about it again!
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

I love the white too... its iconic and definitely a "symbolic" colour of Apple.

But corner to corner glass, illuminated keyboard, ambient light sensor, SD card reader, solid aluminum chassis... all to me make the 13" MacBook Pro more appealing.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
It's usually not very difficult for me to make decisions.
Don't worry I'll believe you...your secret is safe with me.

Quote:
What I feel about Apple is that their products are a work of art. I find both machines beautiful for different reasons!
That's really what it comes down to. It depends on the "look" you are going for so it's okay if you like both for different reasons. Isn't that why girls have so many different shoes so they can pick the right look for the occasion? Oh...did I just make another stereotype?

Instead of over analyzing the problem you might as well just buy a white one also. This way you can sit and admire both of them all day and continue with your great internal debate. We'll call it Jerichoa's Ultimate Life Decision. I look forward to the updates.

Although with all kidding aside, I would get a white one if it was the only color for the specifications I needed. Since isn't not and even if I liked the white one better I wouldn't get it because it doesn't have the performance I needed. So I guess no Ultimate Life Decision for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LED screen malfunctioning | migration »