New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook pro 13" display's protector glass broken

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yokesh

yokesh is on a distinguished road

I bought a macbook pro 13" 6 months ago and accidentally my friend pressed the closed laptop and to my luck the display is'n broken but the protector glass in front of it is cracked.The apple stores service say that whole dispalay has to be changed costing 780$ and even the cost varies from store to store even .. Can the glass alone can be changed? or can i get it changed in grey market with lower cost? pleas help me...

Evry othr things are perfectly working.
QUOTE Thanks
BeefyBeefo

BeefyBeefo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, GT 320M

I'm a Mac noobie, but from past experiences with laptops, my guess is that the whole screen will need to be replaced, maybe even the entire lid in some cases. Maybe the Macbooks are different (hope so!) and I'm sure someone around here will know for sure.

Good luck!!
QUOTE Thanks
hifired

hifired is on a distinguished road

You don't have to replace the display and, if you are brave, you can do the repair your self. I'm trying to decide if I'm that brave. iResq.com or missionrepair.com can do the job for about $250 which includes shipping. instructables.com will show you how to do it. It involves a heat gun and I'm afraid of melting stuff. I have the same problem. Everything works fine, including the lcd but the glass is cracked. If you do it your self, good luck. I think I'm better off sending it in as it is guaranteed.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« core duo vs i5 (DJ-requirements) | External Monitor causing internet to drop »