New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Advice: buying my first MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ckelly06

ckelly06 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro, Intel i5 2.53 GHz, 15" Hi-res antiglare screen, 500 GB HD.

Hi guys,

I switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro back in October for my work computer, and I'm not going back. As I prepare to leave my 9-5 job and start my own business, I want to buy a 15" MacBook Pro (the $1800 model), but before I plunk down some serious cash I have a couple first-time buyer questions:

1. Where should I buy from? It looks like I can save maybe ~$100 buying from Amazon, but I'm afraid I won't have the customization options I want. Should I just buy directly from Apple's website? Is there some other place to buy that's cheaper than buying directly from Apple?

2. Where's the best place to buy a monitor? I've been shopping around online and am pretty shocked at how expensive they are. I'm looking for a rather large one (25"+) since I'll be writing code and having a couple browser windows open most of the time I'm using it.

Any other advice is really appreciated!!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you need to customize the MacBook Pro you want...and Amazon doesn't offer that configuration...then buying from Apple is your best option.

But...if the customizing you want to do relates to the amount of ram or the size of the hard drive...don't do it. Apple charges a lot for ram upgrades...and upgrading the ram or hard dive is very very easy for an end-user to do. There are plenty of DIY videos on the internet as well to help out.

As far as the monitor. If cost is a big concern...I wouldn't go with anything larger than a 24" display. Anything bigger than a 24" is going to be very expensive.

Here's an example of a decently priced 24" monitor:

Samsung 24" 1080p LCD Display

I'm sure if you shop around...you can probably find a 24" monitor for even less.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Apple's website is the place to go if you want to customize but as Nick said if it just the hard drive and RAM then you can do it yourself and usually for less. Of course if you like the convenience of someone else doing if for you then that's your choice.

If you are trying to upgrade other things like anti-glare or high resolution then you might have to buy it from Apple because not all retail stores carry them or they don't have them in the model you want.

Although keep in mind that you can usually get it for less from somewhere else besides Apple's store if they have the model you want.
QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro, Intel i5 2.53 GHz, 15" Hi-res antiglare screen, 500 GB HD.

Thanks, guys. Yes, the primary mod I want is the matte screen. I can't tell on Amazon's site if that's the model they carry, but since it's not the default option I'm assuming it's not.

I'll keep looking around, but will probably just end up buying from Steve.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly06 View Post
Thanks, guys. Yes, the primary mod I want is the matte screen. I can't tell on Amazon's site if that's the model they carry, but since it's not the default option I'm assuming it's not.
Getting the matte screen these days is a rare thing to do...so if the computer on Amazon doesn't make it clear...then it probably has the glossy display.

FYI...in case you didn't know. If you want the matte screen...it's going to cost you extra. On a 15" MacBook Pro...the matte screen (I think Apple is calling them "antiglare" now)...will cost you an extra $150 bucks!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

Yeah, I know it's extra but I don't think I can deal with the reflection from the glossy screens. Maybe I should go to the Mac store one more time to be sure...
QUOTE Thanks
skiltrip

skiltrip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly06 View Post
Yeah, I know it's extra but I don't think I can deal with the reflection from the glossy screens. Maybe I should go to the Mac store one more time to be sure...
Just keep in mind when you are in the Apple Store, and you compare the Glossy vs. Matte there, the Glossy's reflectiveness is exaggerated. In most conditions you won't have as much reflection as you will in their stores.

That said, I currently have a glossy screen, and when I'm home, and the light is natural or dim, I absolutely love the glossy screen. The color is very rich. But now and then, I do get some irritating reflection when I'm at work, or near a window, or if it's a very bright room.

Though I like my glossy screen, my next MBP has a very good chance of being Anti-Glare/Matte.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro - heat issues | MBP - Dead, logic board replaced and different symptoms »