New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

On the Virus hunt, what is the best way to reset Firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pebaker2

pebaker2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2,4 GHz 232 GB, OS 10.5.8 2.4

I have had this annoying bug rerouting all pages that I am linked to from Google. The sites that it sends me to are advertisements, sometimes related search pages, or links to yellopages.com. Wellaction.com and googleanalytics often comes up in the status bar. Also, its occuring on Safari and Firefox. Ive used three different anti-virus programs and they have all shown that my macbook is virus free. So I am pretty sure that the bug is in my router. I am planning on resetting it and calling Belkin customer support to walk me through the setup but I want to try to reset Firefox first. My two questions are:

1. What does it mean to reset Firefox? Will I lose all addons and bookmarks?

2. How do I backup my bookmarks, addons and preferences before I make the reset?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's fairly hard to hack a router remotely..so how do you know that it's a router problem? Can you better explain what you are doing in Firefox/Safari and how the redirect is happening..go step by step..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebaker2 View Post
I have had this annoying bug rerouting all pages that I am linked to from Google. The sites that it sends me to are advertisements, sometimes related search pages, or links to yellopages.com. Wellaction.com and googleanalytics often comes up in the status bar. Also, its occuring on Safari and Firefox. Ive used three different anti-virus programs and they have all shown that my macbook is virus free. So I am pretty sure that the bug is in my router. I am planning on resetting it and calling Belkin customer support to walk me through the setup but I want to try to reset Firefox first. My two questions are:

1. What does it mean to reset Firefox? Will I lose all addons and bookmarks?

2. How do I backup my bookmarks, addons and preferences before I make the reset?
1. If you want to reset Firefox, you should NOT lose bookmarks or add-ons. It simply just clears the cache, and resets all the settings back to default. You will lose any personalized settings such as fonts, tab settings etc.

2. Use an add-on called Xmarks to backup all your bookmarks. Xmarks can also backup passwords etc. Preferences for Firefox should be kept in a separate file with all the plist files (for mac) or in the Firefox program folder (on PC). I'm not sure which ones, but Google it. I'm sure you'll find it.

And incase someone is about to post "he/she can't do any of that because their browser is hijacked", might I suggest using a different browser like IE, Opera or Safari.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sounds like your DNS might be poisoned... wasn't there a malicious script out a while ago that would change DNS settings?

Check under System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and see if there are any entries there that aren't greyed out. If there are, select them all and click "–" to get rid of them.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There sure is - it's a trojan (see here for more info).

To the OP: Have you downloaded and installed anything lately? Have you undertaken any "dubious" activities recently (I'm not here to judge)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
pebaker2

pebaker2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2,4 GHz 232 GB, OS 10.5.8 2.4

I used OpenDNS for a day or so and then when I got tired of that I went into the router settings and reset it. My router is working fine and so is my browser. Im glad it was an easy (and accidental) fix.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This iBook STINKS at playing youtube videos! | Desktop background loads but nothing else! HELP! »