New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Just ordered my 12" iBook - yay!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomanil

New to the forum - hello everyone!

Got a 4 week holiday interspersed with some work "on the road" coming up, so I thought "frack it, this is my excuse to buy an 12" iBook!"

I've been considering getting a mac for half a year now. I'm totally fed up with having to do lots of busywork to keep my windows install running well on the one hand, and on the other hand messing around with obscure desktop config files in Linux is getting extremely old.

Anyway, very excited, and perhaps I'll post my impressions here? (Though you're all probably sick to death with gushing "switch" stories by now. hehe)

ThomasN, norwegian software developer
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

We never get sick of the "switching" stories. Congrats on your new purchase. Tell us how you configured it, by the way. As a recent switcher, myself, I can tell you that your only regret will be not doing it sooner. Mac OSX is way ahead of anything that Windows has out.
QUOTE Thanks
thomanil

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo
We never get sick of the "switching" stories. Congrats on your new purchase. Tell us how you configured it, by the way. As a recent switcher, myself, I can tell you that your only regret will be not doing it sooner. Mac OSX is way ahead of anything that Windows has out.
Configuration: 12", 256 mb ram, 60 gig hd, incase nylon sleeve + a slimmer blue LArobe sleeve. Ordered an extra gig of Crucial pc2100 ram from a 3rd party; Apple's memory prices in the upper segment are INSANE!

Right now I'm of course rather excited about getting to play with it as soon as possible, will be interesting to see how quickly or slowly it ships..
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanil
Ordered an extra gig of Crucial pc2100 ram from a 3rd party; Apple's memory prices in the upper segment are INSANE!
that was the perfect thing to do. I woldnt recommend people to buy Apple's pricy memory.
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Congrats on your new iBook, I assure you, you'll love it! It will make a great change for you switching to an operating system than requires hardly any attention to keep up and running as new. OS X really is the next generation operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
thomanil

Well, my shiny new box shipped yesterday from Netherlands. Nothing shows up on the tracker yet though.

I've spent a little time preparing for the switch. My current laptop is the one I use at work (one of the reasons for the iBook purchase is that I want to minimize non-work-related usage of the Dell Latitude I have from work). So I've been backing up mail, my private Java and Ruby code, bookmarks, etc etc. Also compiled lists of what software or its OS X equivalent I need on the Mac (virtual desktops, ftp client, etc etc).

Found a good book for my situation, too: "Mac OS X for Unix Geeks". Good to know what's different from Linux\Solaris\BSD.

Anyway, my earlobes are tingling with excitement over my imminent switch.

EDIT: Bah, now it does show up on the tracking page.. and it's shipping from Shanghai, not Netherlands. I suppose I'm in for a bit of a wait then.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

No, Apple gets them to yo real quick. I say no more then a week.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill
No, Apple gets them to yo real quick. I say no more then a week.
yeah,probably around a week.....a week of TORMENT!!!!

have fun with your new toy
QUOTE Thanks
thomanil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
yeah,probably around a week.....a week of TORMENT!!!!

have fun with your new toy
I'm guessing I'm going to be REALLY familiar with the order tracking page by next week..
QUOTE Thanks
sebeck

I've had my 12" ibook for about 7 months now and it's awesome! I love it. I want a powermac G5 for the desktop now. i'm hooked.
QUOTE Thanks
Alicia4065

Yeah, u r going to love it, I've had my ibook for little over a month now and can't stop using it since i picked it up. I dont even bother using my pc laptop or my pc desktop unless i'm updating my ipod.

Alicia
QUOTE Thanks
shahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia4065
Yeah, u r going to love it, I've had my ibook for little over a month now and can't stop using it since i picked it up. I dont even bother using my pc laptop or my pc desktop unless i'm updating my ipod.

Alicia

I certainly relate to that one! :dummy:

Shahid
QUOTE Thanks
BrianH

Congradulations, and be sure to stop for a moment and see how nicely packaged the box is, makes you actually feel good, knowing and seeing that you are getting a quality product.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook | Problem waking up (PowerBook not me) »