ways to buy powerbook w/ student discount and avoid taxes
    Hello,
    I am going to take advantage of the $100 off voucher in addition to my student discount to purchase a powerbook.
    I live in California and can purchase at a nearby apple store, or at my university...but I was wondering if there was any way to avoid taxes or shipping and possibly shipping and handleing?
    Maybe a site to buy over the internet from an out of state apple store and still apply a student discount?
    Just trying to make it as cheap as possible.
    thx,
    M

no way, the only way to use the student discount is from apple so you're stuck on paying the taxes since you live in CA. what you may wanna check into doing, what i did when i bought my powerbook is, find an online like store like amazon or something like that where they don't charge taxes or shipping and you sometimes come off cheaper that way, then buying from apple with a student discount + taxes.

Specs:
    Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
    Yup, i ended up looking in to that and it was still less to go with the apple store and the student price though.

Specs:
    12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
    I was going to get mine thorugh my College store and wait for the Tax Free weekend we have in August but it came out cheaper for me to buy a Refurb Powerbook striaight from Apple and not wait...since my campus store couldn't get the refurb for me.

(apparently sometimes resellers can get the refurbs and sometimes they are not available in this way)

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    only way to purchse something at apple and not pay taxes is to be a tax exempt organization or business...most college and universities do not pay taxes on anything...if you can legitamately get your hands on yours chools tax exempt form you should be able to purchase the computer that way....you usually need a credit card with the schools name on it as well in order for it to process correctly so good luck with that...

i havent payed taxes on anything in a long time
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Quote Originally Posted by wrightm
    Hello,
    I am going to take advantage of the $100 off voucher in addition to my student discount to purchase a powerbook.
    I live in California and can purchase at a nearby apple store, or at my university...but I was wondering if there was any way to avoid taxes or shipping and possibly shipping and handleing?
    Maybe a site to buy over the internet from an out of state apple store and still apply a student discount?
    Just trying to make it as cheap as possible.
    thx,
    M
    The only limitation doing this online is the BTO options....
    :alien:

Thread Information