New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ways to buy powerbook w/ student discount and avoid taxes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I am going to take advantage of the $100 off voucher in addition to my student discount to purchase a powerbook.
I live in California and can purchase at a nearby apple store, or at my university...but I was wondering if there was any way to avoid taxes or shipping and possibly shipping and handleing?
Maybe a site to buy over the internet from an out of state apple store and still apply a student discount?
Just trying to make it as cheap as possible.
thx,
M
QUOTE Thanks
rmhop81

rmhop81 is on a distinguished road

no way, the only way to use the student discount is from apple so you're stuck on paying the taxes since you live in CA. what you may wanna check into doing, what i did when i bought my powerbook is, find an online like store like amazon or something like that where they don't charge taxes or shipping and you sometimes come off cheaper that way, then buying from apple with a student discount + taxes.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Yup, i ended up looking in to that and it was still less to go with the apple store and the student price though.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

I was going to get mine thorugh my College store and wait for the Tax Free weekend we have in August but it came out cheaper for me to buy a Refurb Powerbook striaight from Apple and not wait...since my campus store couldn't get the refurb for me.

(apparently sometimes resellers can get the refurbs and sometimes they are not available in this way)
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

only way to purchse something at apple and not pay taxes is to be a tax exempt organization or business...most college and universities do not pay taxes on anything...if you can legitamately get your hands on yours chools tax exempt form you should be able to purchase the computer that way....you usually need a credit card with the schools name on it as well in order for it to process correctly so good luck with that...

i havent payed taxes on anything in a long time
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm
Hello,
I am going to take advantage of the $100 off voucher in addition to my student discount to purchase a powerbook.
I live in California and can purchase at a nearby apple store, or at my university...but I was wondering if there was any way to avoid taxes or shipping and possibly shipping and handleing?
Maybe a site to buy over the internet from an out of state apple store and still apply a student discount?
Just trying to make it as cheap as possible.
thx,
M
The only limitation doing this online is the BTO options....
:alien:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scrolling | diference in 12" powerbook graphic card vs upgraded 17" »