New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

new external hard drive - firewire 800 to 400 compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twjroe

twjroe is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new 2tb external hard drive and was wondering if anyone had and suggestions. I have an 08 model macbook with a firewire 400 port so I'd like to be able to utilise this. I'd also like the hard drive to be compatible with firewire 800 and possibily usb 3.0 as well for when I hopefully upgrade me computer in the next year.

I've looked at the new seagate goflex drives which seem to offer these upgrade options but there is no firewire 400 option. does anyone know if i buy the goflex with firewire 800 whether I can then get a firewire 800 to 400 conversion cable and plug it into my macbook?

cheers

tom
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yes..you can just use an adapter from FW 800 to FW 400 and it will work fine with your Macbook at FW400 speeds..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
devoult

devoult is on a distinguished road

yea they make cables that go from 800 to 400. but i'll tell you now that a usb will be a bit faster, cheaper, and more drive options.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoult View Post
yea they make cables that go from 800 to 400. but i'll tell you now that a usb will be a bit faster, cheaper, and more drive options.
Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with that. All the real world tests I've seen (including my own), FW... 400 or 800... will beat USB2 at moving data between drives.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I agree with bobtomay. From what I have experienced first hand Firewire has always been faster for me. The difference between FW 400 and USB 2 isn't as great but FW 800 is definitely noticeable.
QUOTE Thanks
devoult

devoult is on a distinguished road

well see that's weird because firewire 400 has a transfer rate of 400Mb/s and USB 2 has 480Mb/s.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Those are the theoretical maximum speeds. Usually in actual usage most people won't get those speeds. I've been told that Firewire is more efficient than USB meaning you get closer to the maximum speeds compared to USB. This would explain the results I'm getting.

In actual usage I've noticed Firewire has always been faster for me. This is why you can't always trust the advertised specifications from the manufacturers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help me fix my macbook keyboard! | MacBook wont boot up »