New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Several Propblems after installing bigger Harddisk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AllenRICH

AllenRICH is on a distinguished road

Dear All,

After my Macbook Pro 2.53 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM run out of space (250 GB harddisk) I thought it would be wonderfull to replace it with a huge harddisk. So I purchased quiet cheaply a TOSHIBA MK6459GSX with 640 GB Diskspace and 5400 R/min. As my original Harddisk was also spinning at 5400 I thought it would be enough.

Firstly: I made a partition and installed snow leopard and used the emigration manager to reinstall all my initial software. However my Mac is very Slowly when opening programs, lagging a lot especially when using internet applications such as Firefox or Safari. But the worst is ITUNES. When I play tracks from the harddisk, they stop playing for milliseconds approximately every 60 seconds, however the sound files are not damaged at all. This is also due in VLC player.

Secondly: I try to reinstall every thing but including a partition of the disk, putting all my music files on the second partition. However this did not fixed the problem. I used again the emigration assistant to reinstall my initial setting.

Is my harddisk not appropriate? Or what did I do wrong?

Here the specs of the harddrive:

Toshiba 640GB 2.5" SATA Harddisk (MK6459GSX) MK6459GSX toshiba 640 products

Thank you so much for help in advance,

Best Regards,
Allen
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The new hard drive is OK and probably not the reason for the slowdowns. It's the way you restored your OS and applications. A good way would have been to first make a complete backup of your old drive with Time Machine to an external hard drive. (You should have already been making backups.)

Then remove the old drive and install the new one. Use the install DVD to format and partition (only one partition - the entire drive) it. Make sure you attach your external drive with the backup. Then proceed to install the OS. During the installation of the OS you'll be asked if you wish to restore from backup. Select yes. It may take 10 to 20 minutes or longer depending on how much data you have to restore. But when it finishes, you should be able to reboot into OS X and have everything as before.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
AllenRICH

AllenRICH is on a distinguished road

Hmm,

I retry to reinstall everything without using any emigration. Still got the same problem, I think it is due to a harddisk issue,

Does the MB Cache plays a large importance? I got 5 MB Cache, should it be 8?

What large Harddisk could you suggest to purchase, with 7200 RPM and 1tb disk space?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you did a clean reinstall as was suggested and are still having problems with slowdowns the trouble could be elsewhere. It is possible that the new hard drive is defective but that's unlikely. Also, the difference in cache size of the hard drive is not enough to cause slowdowns as you're experiencing.

I suggest running the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if it picks up on any problems you may be having.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to get HP 2009m monitor to work with macbook? | My MBP has had a bad hinge for a while now... »