New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Disabling/Deleting Internal Audio Drivers on MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the-usher

the-usher is on a distinguished road

Hello MacForums!

I was wondering how I would go about Disabling or Deleting the internal speaker audio drivers on my MacBook Pro?

Ever since purchasing an external firewire I/O device, I don't have any use for my internal speakers. It would be a great help if anyone knew how to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Instead of deleting the drivers (which I don't think you can do anyway) why not just mute the speakers?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
the-usher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Instead of deleting the drivers (which I don't think you can do anyway) why not just mute the speakers?

Regards.
Well, simply because the system sounds are still coming out of the internal speakers. Also, older mac games default to the internal speakers because they are the system default. I've heard it is possible to get the system sound to change to an external source if the drivers are tampered with or removed. I would prefer to have the system sounds come out of my external speakers if it is possible.
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

why not use external speakers and plug them into the macbook pro ?
QUOTE Thanks
the-usher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMac View Post
why not use external speakers and plug them into the macbook pro ?
Out of the question.

I use an external audio interface for my studio. The speakers are connected through 1/4 inch jacks from my external I/O. I'm not looking to manually change the cables every time I feel like playing an old game. I'm looking to change the system sound source internally.
QUOTE Thanks
the-usher

Alright, so I did some experimentation with moving certain extensions.

I determined that the 'AppleHDA.kext' is the driver for the internal speakers. I was able to remove it from the extensions folder and reboot with no 'serious' issues. While my external interface was showing up as the only audio output option is system preferences, the system sound didn't default to it. Instead, there was no system sound at all.

I have noticed that on other macs, it is possible to change the source for system sounds. On my MacBook Pro, it's a grayed out option. Does anyone know how to unlock or change this preference in terminal?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP MS-DOS(FAT) not recognized in Windows 7 | MacBook Pro - Sound Issue »