New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Loading OS X from external HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNeely

MacNeely is on a distinguished road

Hey all, here's my conundrum. I've got a Macbook with a dead Superdrive, and now my hdd just died as well. I've got another hdd from a windows laptop. So how would I format and load OS X onto this hdd. Would OS X working from an external cd-drive read and reformat this hdd or can I use an external hard drive to load the os onto the laptop hdd to put back into the system...I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

If you swap your hard drives and put in the working drive then, using an external optical drive, you should be able to install your OS without problems.

Or if you have another Mac available and firewire on both machines, you can connect two macs with a firewire cable to use one in Target Disk Mode - this will share the optical drive as well.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNeely

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
If you swap your hard drives and put in the working drive then, using an external optical drive, you should be able to install your OS without problems.

Or if you have another Mac available and firewire on both machines, you can connect two macs with a firewire cable to use one in Target Disk Mode - this will share the optical drive as well.
Okay great i'll try that, thanks. As I said I really wasn't sure how it would work or if it would.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:

Very nice. ^

What about replacing the optical drive while you have it open. Depending on your model, its around 100-150 for a new super drive. (from macsales)

Or maybe you can find someone who removed there superdrive for a HD, then you can buy there used super drive. IDK, its worth a shot though.

QUOTE Thanks
MacNeely

That's an option i'm willing to take on, but i was needing an immediate fix. So I could be back up and running, i'm reduced to using my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 from work until my macbook gets fixed. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

If you can get a new working optical drive then sure, you can replace it ... I bet you can find lots of how-to's at different sites

It will, however, void your warranty if it's a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:
If you can get a new working optical drive then sure, you can replace it ... I bet you can find lots of how-to's at different sites

It will, however, void your warranty if it's a new computer.
I figured it wasn't a new computer, because if it was.. I would think he would take it to the apple store to get repaired, for free. (if it wasn't accident damage, and was some sort of defect)

QUOTE Thanks
MacNeely

No, it is definitely out of the realm of Applecare. I got it in '06, I took it to my local Applestore here in Greensboro, NC and they bascially said to just to replace the superdrive and the left hinge (which is broken as well, not a real problem. Just an annoyance) that it'd probably be cheaper\or more cost effective to get a new macbook by the time they were done with parts and labor.
QUOTE Thanks
vrsiler

vrsiler is on a distinguished road

I have a similar problem. I have two Imacs, one with a superdrive and one with a cd drive. I need to share the superdrive with the older Imac so I can install OS 10.4 (which is on a DVD). I have a firewire cable so can use the target disk mode.
How do I set up the newer Imac to share the superdrive?
I want to send the older mac to my granddaughters to use in school work.
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When using Target Mode, make sure the sender iMac is the one with the superdrive. You can then boot the receiver from the sender and install Tiger that way. Also, as a side note... you can ask Apple to send you a copy of Tiger on CDs. I'm not sure if they're still available or how much they'll charge. Give Apple customer support a call.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help - Can't see music files on external HDD | MackBook Pro 13-inch battery replacement »